Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot mount external drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cannot mount external drive.

Hope someone can help.

Just installed Kubuntu 11.10 and I cannot mount an external hard drive formatted HFS+ on a Mac. Strangely, Ubuntu was able to read the drive and download files from it, but, Kubuntu has been unsuccessful. Can anyone tell me what Ubuntu/Unity has installed that will allow it to access the drive where Kubuntu/KDE cannot?

On a related note, Ubuntu was able to access my Time Capsule's internal drive as well (read and write access) and Kubuntu cannot even see it. If I can't fix this I may have to go back to Ubuntu but I am really digging KDE.

Any help? Thanks in advance.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." ~Adam Savage

Registered Linux User #412553

Beans

Re: Cannot mount external drive.

First question, is the drive actually seen by the OS:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    I would suppose you will see it, but need to verify.

Second question, have you tried hot-plugging the running drive into the running Kubuntu system, rather than booting with it connected? There's a KDE device notifier that should pop up and offer to open the device in Dolphin, or play media, etc.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro

Yes and Yes

Kubuntu sees the external drive and gives me options (Open Dolphin or Open Gwenview) But when I try I get theis error:

The requested operation has failed.: Requested filesystem type is neither well-known nor in /proc/filesystems nor in /etc/filesystems

Beans

OK, I have no experience using hfs+, but it looks like there are some special procedures needed:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/hfsplus

The recognition (or not) of a filesystem type is not, AFAIK, a function of the desktop environment -- I don't see why KDE would not be able to use it if Gnome can use it. But, is the underlying Linux OS the same, or did you reinstall Kubuntu? If the latter, then possibly there is a driver or kernel module missing in the Kubuntu installation that you had in the Ubuntu system.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans

Looks like you need the hfsutils package installed. Then with that, here is a non-automatic way to get it mounted: http://mintppc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&p=4372

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dabl View Post
    Looks like you need the hfsutils package installed. Then with that, here is a non-automatic way to get it mounted: http://mintppc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&p=4372
    That did it dabl, thanks so much!

Also, can see my Time Capsule now (router and printer - in fact I got the printer set up so I can use it!). Any ideas how I might see and access the internal drive? Again, this was something Ubuntu could do out of the box so I'm sure Kubuntu could do it if I can set it up like Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CallsignBaron View Post

Any ideas how I might see and access the internal drive?
    Again, first we go back to basics -- can you see it with fdisk -l? If so, what it the filesystem type?

Beans
    Distro

Can't see it.

Can see the Time Capsule router and the attached printer (can get wireless Internet and print) in Dolphin under Network, but cannot see the internal hard drive.

Beans

OK, that says Linux is not even aware of the drive. So it doesn't matter about the desktop environment.

What kind of drive (IDE or SATA), and how is it set in BIOS? Whatever the "channel" or "mode" setting is in BIOS, try changing it, and then see if fdisk -l will pick it up. Until the Linux system sees the drive, you're not gonna mount it or use it.

Beans
    Distro

This is not a connected drive, it is a network drive that lives inside the Time Capsule router.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...ode=MTY1NDA0Mg

BTW, the USB external HFS+ drive is working great now, with read AND write access. Thanks again for that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast