Thread: Does anyone know a workaround for python-setools in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Does anyone know a workaround for python-setools in Ubuntu

So I'm having an issue with this:http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=645326

Does anyone have a workaround for this or am I kind of out of luck. I'm needing (wanting) to port the RHEL (SELinux toolchain) sandbox python script to make it functional on Debian based distros, unfortunately nobody seems to care about the setools modules, since that bug's status hasn't been updated in a hot minute.

P.S : I know this works fine on RHEL, CentOS , Fedora and pretty much every other non debian distro, however I am wanting to port it for use on debian based distros. So an acceptable solution is NOT use Fedora. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Does anyone know a workaround for python-setools in Ubuntu

I know that this is no real help, but my response is part curiosity, part trying to narrow down on the problem.

RHEL, CentOS, and Fedora are all Red Hat-based. Does python-setools
    truly work on any non-Debian system (e.g. Arch, Slackware)? Or just Red Hat systems?

I hope somebody here can help you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by 11jmb View Post
    I know that this is no real help, but my response is part curiosity, part trying to narrow down on the problem.

RHEL, CentOS, and Fedora are all Red Hat-based. Does python-setools
    truly work on any non-Debian system (e.g. Arch, Slackware)? Or just Red Hat systems?

I hope somebody here can help you.

It works in gentoo, suse , and slack haven't tried it in arch. Ultimately the problem lies in the bug report I linked, I"m wondering if anyone knows a workaround for that.

It's something I'd really like the Ubuntu community to have access to functionality wise, and while apparmor can do similar the script I'm wanting to port is both easy and effective to utilize.

Thanks for the reply btw, it's never unhelpful to have an extra opinion or two
    Last edited by Dangertux; December 10th, 2011 at 07:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm sure that you have done more extensive google-fu on this than I, but I came across this just in case you haven't seen it:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=645008

I guess seinfo is incompatible with Python 2.7? I wonder if it would work on an older Ubuntu release with 2.6.

This kind of thing is way outside of my area, but the forums are pretty quiet on Friday nights, so hopefully I can post help that is slightly better than noise.
    Last edited by 11jmb; December 10th, 2011 at 07:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by 11jmb View Post
    I'm sure that you have done more extensive google-fu on this that I, but I came across this just in case you haven't seen it:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=645008

I guess seinfo is incompatible with Python 2.7? I wonder if it would work on an older Ubuntu release with 2.6.

This kind of thing is way outside of my area, but the forums are pretty quiet on Friday nights, so hopefully I can post help that is slightly better than noise.
    It's possible I'll give that a shot in the morning thanks for the idea