Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cube and Desktop Effects in Compiz

Beans

Re: Cube and Desktop Effects in Compiz

when configuring cube , the Ubuntu Unity Plugin is gone now i canot get the dashboard And application please help me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi here is a link for resetting compiz or unity that will fix your problem.
    http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/04/mis...-in-unity.html
    Which version of unity are you using?

If you follow the directions exactly you should have no problems the panels they will be disable but when you are done they will be back and you will have a working cube.
    Thanks
    Last edited by wildmanne39; February 19th, 2012 at 11:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi there, I have been fooling around with Ubuntu for some time now thoughi i would recount some of my experiences with compiz and the natty to oneric unity distributions.

My problem started when I loaded natty for the first time, as a regular upgrade from maverick.
    Unfortunately I thought that i would casually go for the encrypt your home folder option when i set it up.
    After a little while tinkering i installed compiz in order to set up a rotating cube desktop.

I had no idea that gnome and unity were so different and to my horror i lost control was unable to fire up the operating system at all. Then forgetting that i had encrypted the home folder i decided to do a clean reinstall on another hdd i had laying around then take the lost files out of the problem drive later.

Well everything went well, the files got copied ok...but they were completely unreadable and seemingly impossible to decrypt from the dvd. I was so mad.

Well saddened with the Unity thing I reverted back to maverick for a few months...
    Just a few days ago I decided to jump back in to the upgrade game and give 11-10 a go.

I had learned to be wary of what i should not do re compiz so i looked around to see if anyone else had had problems with cube and compiz and it seems there have been quite a few victims.
    so i googled around and found a very helpful link here ..

http://askubuntu.com/questions/86977...be-in-unity-3d

I thought i would share, since it was so helpful to me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, thank you for sharing that link.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Doesn't work for me.

I was messing with the compiz settings and clicked on the cube thingies. Now when I login (ubuntu) I have a blank desktop with just the top bar with the desktop menu that doesn't allow me to do anything I want.

I tried following the instructions at http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/04/mis...-in-unity.html, but can't even get to a terminal window. Atl-F1 does nothing Ctrl-Alt-T does nothing Alt-T does nothing.

Can anyone please tell me what I need to do other than a complete reinstall?

I can get to Ubuntu 2D, by the way, which is how I'm able to send this from anywhere other than an internet cafe.

I really hope someone can suggest something.

Cheers

Peter

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by peredur View Post
    Doesn't work for me.

I was messing with the compiz settings and clicked on the cube thingies. Now when I login (ubuntu) I have a blank desktop with just the top bar with the desktop menu that doesn't allow me to do anything I want.

I tried following the instructions at http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/04/mis...-in-unity.html, but can't even get to a terminal window. Atl-F1 does nothing Ctrl-Alt-T does nothing Alt-T does nothing.

I can get to Ubuntu 2D, by the way, which is how I'm able to send this from anywhere other than an internet cafe.

Cheers

Peter
    About all I can think of is try pressing ALT and F2 - that should bring up a Run Application box.
    HTH

Beans

What graphics card are you using and are you sure that they are installed and working.

If Unity 2d is working ok ..... then can you do a screenshot showing the screen with your

graphics setup too ...... system settings - display ..... or if Nvidia - Nvidia settings

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Doesn't work for me.

Cheers

Peter
    Hi, logging into Unity2d, re-ticking the "Ubuntu Unity" plugin in CCSM, then logging back into Unity should work. If not,

Code:
    unity --reset
    in a terminal from anywhere (unity2d, tty), should do the trick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Talking Re: Cube and Desktop Effects in Compiz

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    Hi, logging into Unity2d, re-ticking the "Ubuntu Unity" plugin in CCSM, then logging back into Unity should work. If not,

Code:
    unity --reset
    in a terminal from anywhere (unity2d, tty), should do the trick.
    Oh, that was neat. Thank you so much.

Do you think the Compiz Settings ought to come with a health warning?

Cheers

Peter

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Do you think the Compiz Settings ought to come with a health warning?
    Actually, it will ; in the upcoming Precise 12.04:

Plus these further safeguards:

Thanks to the threat by Jorge Castro to remove CCSM from the official repos altogether.

Atl-F1 does nothing Ctrl-Alt-T does nothing Alt-T does nothing.
    It's Ctrl+Alt+F1 for switching to the console/tty1, as correctly stated in that guide; in case that wasn't just a typo here.
    Last edited by Krytarik; February 29th, 2012 at 01:57 AM. Reason: formatting

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast