Thread: User Interface Problems-Help

Beans

User Interface Problems-Help

I'll try to be as accurate as possible.

I think what has happened is that my system is still set to duel monitors. I originally had two set up with Ubuntu but one monitor broke and I simply took it out. So when I use my mouse it leaves the screen to the left but I obviously can't see the screen it goes to. That's problem number 1. As a consequence of that, the taskbar does open immediately. Apparently I have to slide the mouse all the way over the other screen that would be there with the other monitor. Therefore, I am only seeing half of the screen. When I go to monitors settings, it doesn't detect my existing monitor and I can't find a way to change the system back to single screen. I hope this makes sense.

Also I don't like how the taskbar comes out from the left, I want it on the bottom.

Any help is appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: User Interface Problems-Help

Quote Originally Posted by pokerkid View Post
    I'll try to be as accurate as possible.

I think what has happened is that my system is still set to duel monitors. I originally had two set up with Ubuntu but one monitor broke and I simply took it out. So when I use my mouse it leaves the screen to the left but I obviously can't see the screen it goes to. That's problem number 1. As a consequence of that, the taskbar does open immediately. Apparently I have to slide the mouse all the way over the other screen that would be there with the other monitor. Therefore, I am only seeing half of the screen. When I go to monitors settings, it doesn't detect my existing monitor and I can't find a way to change the system back to single screen. I hope this makes sense.

Also I don't like how the taskbar comes out from the left, I want it on the bottom.

Any help is appreciated.
    Go to "System Settings" ,"Displays" and set it back to a single monitor;

if only one monitor is there it will only detect one, and give you the relevant choices. Or you can set it to "Mirror Displays" and you will only see one, but this may restrict your resolution settings.

If you still have problems with the taskbar after that, post again.
    Last edited by traditionalist; June 3rd, 2012 at 02:34 AM.
    There is always a way, but it might not be the best way, or your way!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by traditionalist View Post
    Go to "System Settings" ,"Displays" and set it back to a single monitor;

if only one monitor is there it will only detect one, and give you the relevant choices. Or you can set it to "Mirror Displays" and you will only see one, but this may restrict your resolution settings.

If you still have problems with the taskbar after that, post again.
    Ok, I so while I was waiting for a response, I fixed one of my problems. Apparently the resolution was set wrong and when I picked the best one for the monitor, it went back to 1 screen. However, my monitor is still not being detected when I go to the settings screen you suggested. It reads "unknown" and is in pink.

The other issue is I don't like the left screen task bar pop out. I read about this but can't seem to get it to the bottom like windows...any help on that would be appreciated too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pokerkid View Post
    Ok, I so while I was waiting for a response, I fixed one of my problems. Apparently the resolution was set wrong and when I picked the best one for the monitor, it went back to 1 screen. However, my monitor is still not being detected when I go to the settings screen you suggested. It reads "unknown" and is in pink.

The other issue is I don't like the left screen task bar pop out. I read about this but can't seem to get it to the bottom like windows...any help on that would be appreciated too.
    If the monitor is shown as "unknown", then it has been detected but the system does not know what monitor it is.

Presumably you are using unity? I don't like it either. There is nothing you can do about the taskbar position in unity on 12.04

You need to install some other shell if you want to change that.

I use GNOME classic. You can get it in the Ubuntu Software Center, type "Gnome shell" in the search box.

Last edited by traditionalist; June 3rd, 2012 at 03:06 AM.
    There is always a way, but it might not be the best way, or your way!