Thread: Cube and Desktop Effects in Compiz

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Cube and Desktop Effects in Compiz

This is a guide for setting up the cube and effects in Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu and Edubuntu in release 10.04, 10.10, 11.04, 11.10 and 12.04.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompositeManager

Thread closed.

Please ask support questions in the appropriate forum.

1. The guide is intended to get the cube and a few of the well known effects working, it will give you the basics to be able to setup and use other effects as well.

2. Please read all the guide and do not skip around it will make it easier to setup that way.

3. The cube and effects were setup in each version and release of ubuntu listed above in virtualbox meaning the graphics driver used is the 3D driver included in virualbox, many problems that may be in countered will be because of issues with graphic drivers.

4. Please feel free to discuss all things related to setting up the cube and effects here, also you can edit the wiki with your suggestions or if you do not want to edit the wiki post your suggestion here and I will post it to the appropriate section of the wiki.

5. If you edit the wiki please remember that we are trying to have a guide that is easy for everyone especially new people to ubuntu to use so be as detailed as possible.

Edit: If you still need help after using the guide please post here for assistance.

Thanks to mörgæs for your guidance during the writting of this guide.
    Thanks to MG&TL for help in editing the guide.
    Thanks to Krytarik for proofing-reading and helping to make the guide more concise.
    Last edited by Elfy; June 27th, 2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: added text

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Cube and Desktop Effects in Compiz

Dear Wildmanne39:

I followed the instruction for the cube to the T and it's on my desktop; just what I wanted and that's good.

I just don't understand, how do I make the cube smaller?
    -Check yourself before you wreck yourself-

Devuan, MX Linux, Debian 12 & Slackware 15

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, when you have windows open in ubuntu and hold down your mouse wheel or ctrl+alt+left/Mouse button it should zoom out.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Dear wildmanne39.

With the intention of making the guide better, I want to point out that there's a little problem with the first instruction (after installation):
    Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10, Edubuntu 10.04, 10.10 and 11.04

1. Right click on the background, then click on "change desktop background" in the window that opens. Click on "visual effects" then choose "extra" and it will attempt to activate desktop effects.
    There's no 'Visual Effects' available following those instructions on 11.04

Any thoughts?

Regards.
    Last edited by papibe; January 15th, 2012 at 04:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi papibe, you are right I was sure when I checked Edubuntu 11.04 there was an appearance tab since it does not use unity in 11.04.

When there is no visual effects tab in Appearance just make sure you have 3D working then use compiz-settings-mangager to set the effects you want.

I will change this on the guide tomorrow when I am more rested.
    Thank you it is much appreciated.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; January 15th, 2012 at 07:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Another things that can be improved:

Warnings should be written as first as possible, but not in step 4 !
    4. When you disable Open GL you will be asked if you want to disable several plugins. Click to disable every time it asks. When you disable Open GL it will cause graphical glitches in your windows and menu bar but do not worry, a restart will fix the problem but do not restart until later.
    That warning is too late in the process. At some point I lost windows decorations, maximize and minimize buttons, alt+tab functionality, etc. If you are following the guide with a maximized firefox window, at some point you will loose the ability to go back to ccsm, thus continuing the guide.

Better to separate steps for Unity and Classic Mode.

There is a section for 11.04, but starts by saying that '...can be used for Ubuntu Classic Mode...", but the numbered steps are for Unity. I have to read it a couple of times to realize what was going on.

I hope this assessments can improve the guide.
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi papibe, thank you for your input I will look at the guide and see what I can do with it in regards to your suggestions.

Beans

I just enabled the cube using your guide and it is working beautifully Just wanted to say thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, your welcome!
    Enjoy