Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Apology to KDE...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

An Apology to KDE...

I want to say I'm sorry from the bottom of my heart...

For the longest time, I have snubbed you and said cruel things like, "KDE's just a transitional environment for ex-Windows users..." and "KDE's clunky and slow..."

I have not stayed in touch for a long time...and in such a long time, things change. Systems change...and desktop environments change.

You have definitely changed. Gone are the clunky issues with random lockups, bleeding edge software that looked great but ran terribly unless you had exactly the right piece of hardware for it...the random crashes, screaming fits and sleepless nights fighting you appear to be over too...you've...you've matured and that's what I've been waiting for.

Gone are the days of the Windows-ish appearance. You have grown into a fine looking desktop in your own right.

In short, I...I'm sorry for ignoring you for all these years...you see...Gnome's been taking up all my time, demanding I pay attention to it and well...

I'm tired of Gnome <snip>. Gnome has...changed...and not for the better, like you. I guess what I'm trying to say is...I want you back into my life.

Remember those heady days when we played together on SuSE? Well, I'm an Ubuntu man through and through, but if you'll have me...I have a Kubuntu CD and you'll be going on my home computer tonight.

Love,
    Ghost|BTFH
    Last edited by coffeecat; December 8th, 2011 at 11:52 PM. Reason: snip
    I am not here for your hearts and your minds - we have enough of those in stock, what we really need right now are feet and elbows...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: An Apology to KDE...

its high time KDE got a pat on the back but i am just a fat gnome.
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate || My WIKI
    ---------------------------

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Not a support request.

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

...so I take it you don't like GNOME anymore? =P

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by xeriouxi View Post
    ...so I take it you don't like GNOME anymore? =P
    Gnome keeps wanting me to...you know...try different things...and so I do...you know, to keep things interesting...but Gnome's just a freak.

I just want something a bit more mature and stable.
    I am not here for your hearts and your minds - we have enough of those in stock, what we really need right now are feet and elbows...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hahahahahahaha!

I love the way you phrase it! Now I can't stop picturing trying a DE like dating a girl.

Now I have this mental image in my head, that trying Gnome 3 is like dating Lady Gaga: Fun, pretty, exciting, but one day you come home to find her wearing a dress made of meat, and all you do is stare at her, wondering where on earth her train of thought had derailed to bring you to this strange place.
    Last edited by StephanG; December 10th, 2011 at 12:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bluexrider View Post
    its high time KDE got a pat on the back but i am just a fat gnome.
    I love KDE. But I have wondered why Kubuntu doesn't come with a KDE port of the Ubuntu Software Center?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost|BTFH View Post
    Gnome keeps wanting me to...you know...try different things...and so I do...you know, to keep things interesting...but Gnome's just a freak.
    Stop it, man, you're bringing tears to my eyes! Can't stop LOLing

IMHO KDE has been a great desktop for a long time. I've never had most of the problems people write about. I've got a second box next to me with Kubuntu Lucid on it, but this is where I live right now.

Code:
    $ lsb_release -dc && konqueror --version
    Description:    Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS
    Codename:       hardy
    Qt: 3.3.8b
    KDE: 3.5.10
    Konqueror: 3.5.10
    They are quite different in many ways, but each has her own charms. Consider me seduced, but that won't stop me from playing doctor with Xfce and LXDE when I get the chance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Personally I still find KDE clunky and buggy. Right now I'm on XFCE fast and simple, but its not perfect either. Most noticeably lack of a proper mixer (xfce4 mixer has no way to set the output device)
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Why is this thread marked as [SOLVED]? Did KDE forgive you or what?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast