Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot boot live USB with Ubuntu on a specific PC, on others the USB works fine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cannot boot live USB with Ubuntu on a specific PC, on others the USB works fine?

What I do:
    I prepare Ubuntu live USB and boot with it. I select the USB pen drive. The PC tries to boot from it.
    What happens
    I receive an error message:
    Verifying DMI Pool Data ....... Update Success
    Boot Error

(THAT IS ALL, REALLY, NOTHING MORE)
    What is expected:
    A normal boot procedure.
    Some other information:
    1) No matter how I prepare the USB, I get the same result. The USB works just fine on some other PC.
    2) The PC will boot from USB made to boot MS-DOS.
    3) The PC is dual-boot, Win7 and Ubuntu(installed from CD)
    4) The BIOS is Phoenix-Award(version of bios dated 2008), the motherboard is comparatively new.
    5) i failed to boot via plop linux boot manager.
    It all started somewhere here:
    Hello everybody out there using minix -
    I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones...

Beans
    Distro

Re: Cannot boot live USB with Ubuntu on a specific PC, on others the USB works fine?

Bup plus some info:
    I tried bypassing BIOS (I suspect) limitations with plop LiveCD, but still boot fails...
    I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Cannot boot live USB with Ubuntu on a specific PC, on others the USB works fine?

Sounds like there is system drivers the USB doesn't have for your specific hardware.
    Steve B.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you
    have to be a genius to understand the simplicity.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Sounds like there is system drivers the USB doesn't have for your specific hardware.
    The usb will not boot, but CD with the same OS will. So, i think, the problem is that the BIOS does not boot correctly the USB. I found the info that some Award-Phoenix BIOS(mine is too Award Phoenix) are buggy and the USB has to be in USB zip mode. Unfortunately, formatting the drive that way, the PC will still not boot. THE PC will still boot if the USB is created with hp bootable flash utility. So, I am either doing something wrong, or just have not found the correct tutorial.
    Probably, someone ho is willing to help, to guide me through the process.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by deckoff View Post
    The usb will not boot, but CD with the same OS will ...
    Unfortunately USB booting is not yet fully standardized or debugged. But why do you want to boot from USB when it works from CD on this one? Maybe we can find some work-around

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Unfortunately USB booting is not yet fully standardized or debugged. But why do you want to boot from USB when it works from CD on this one? Maybe we can find some work-around
    Just because I want to try out new distro releases on this PC, and it is much easier to prepare USB than CD ( not to mention, I run out of empty CDs lately).
    I tried this link here, but this method does not work with 11.10.

Beans
    Hidden!

Just because I want to try out new distro releases on this PC, and it is much easier to prepare USB than CD ( not to mention, I run out of empty CDs lately).
    I tried this link here, but this method does not work with 11.10.
    Try this method to boot directly from iso images on your hard drive
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=349
    It works for me (to run live sessions of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and newer versions of Ubuntu and LinuxMint)

Beans
    Distro

I am not quite sure if I get this 100% quite right -
    On PC with Linux( or better, newer Ubuntu release installed) and GRUB installed, the GRUB menu entry is added, so the USB is seen as ISO ad run.
    Code:
    menuentry "Boot UBUNTU 10+ BASED SYSTEM from /media/multimed-2/CD/candidate.iso" {
    set isofile="/CD/candidate.iso"
    loopback loop (hd0,2)$isofile
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    }
    Is that right, or I am missing something?
    This will solve the problem for me with that particular PC. I hope I will not run into situation where I have to boot with USB and grub is not installed.
    The particular version of my BIOS is Phoenix-Award 6.00 PG

Beans
    Hidden!

I am not quite sure if I get this 100% quite right -
    On PC with Linux( or better, newer Ubuntu release installed) and GRUB installed, the GRUB menu entry is added, so the USB is seen as ISO ad run.
    Code:
    menuentry "Boot UBUNTU 10+ BASED SYSTEM from /media/multimed-2/CD/candidate.iso" {
    set isofile="/CD/candidate.iso"
    loopback loop (hd0,2)$isofile
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    }
    Is that right, or I am missing something?
    This will solve the problem for me with that particular PC. I hope I will not run into situation where I have to boot with USB and grub is not installed.
    The particular version of my BIOS is Phoenix-Award 6.00 PG
    An iso file on the HDD is used, so you need no USB drive at all. The iso file is (hardlinked to) /CD/candidate.iso (on the partition /dev/sda2 mounted on /media/multimed-2 in my case). You must edit the red text in order to make it fit where your iso file is located.

Decide where you want to have your iso-files and post the output of the terminal command
    Code:
    df
    That would make it possible for me to help with details.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Well booting from a USB is not always that easy:

Known Issues

Natty Narwhal 11.04 is having issues with USB flash drives from SanDisk that have U3 Launchpad. You can either use another brand or use either u3-tool from Ubuntu Repositories or SanDisk's U3 Launchpad Removal Tool to remove U3.

10.04.3 is having issues. You might get a segmentation fault if used from command line. There are many launchpad bugs regarding segmentation fault (eg: 572611).

The 9.10 CDs and DVDs are missing the usb-creator.exe program used by the Windows installation processes discussed below. To install the i386 desktop version to a USB flash drive from a disk image on Windows, use the incredibly easy process described at http://www.pendrivelinux.com/create-...sb-in-windows/ . When you boot the resulting live persistent USB, you can install to your hard disk if you wish at any time, or not.

If you get "Incorrect CD-ROM detected" error on detection stage, reboot, press F6 and then ESC to go to manual boot line editing, and add the option 'cdrom-detect/try-usb=true'.

If the above doesn't solve your CD-ROM detection problem and you used the "Universal USB Installer" to prepare your USB flash drive, another solution might be trying UNetbootin. If you are encountering this problem with UNetbootin, press tab at the splash screen to access the boot line editor.

Some BIOS's (eg., the Eee PC netbook') have trouble recognizing that the USB is bootable. You may have to trick it into booting using the following method: At boot, enter the BIOS by pressing F2. Then, right as you exit the BIOS, hit the Esc key. For some systems, this will bring up the boot menu.

The error "Can not mount /dev/loop1 on /cow" is because usb-creator.exe is not creating a valid casper-rw file holding ext2/ext3 filesystem. Fix: 1) Use Unetbootin or 2) After running usb-creator.exe, recreate casper-rw using cygwin tools or http://www.pendrivelinux.com/casper-...-from-windows/. (As of April 2010)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast