Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I generate a Synaptic download script from the command line?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Can I generate a Synaptic download script from the command line?

apt-get will download and install the package and any dependencies it might have all automatically.

You might try specifying --dry-run

What are you trying to do with the script?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    apt-get will download and install the package and any dependencies it might have all automatically.

You might try specifying --dry-run

What are you trying to do with the script?
    I want to download the package and all dependencies as .deb files, put them on flash drive, take them to my offline computer, and install them there. The script would come from my offline computer and would simply tell my online computer what dependencies ARE already installed on my PC.
    I want to download all the packages, but not install them.

Beans

ARGH! Are people even reading the question before answering? I have been searching for hours to figure out how to do this with no success, and reading through this thread has been so painful...

OFFLINE COMPUTER needs packages installed. It does not have an internet connection, so it cannot download them. Synaptic Package Manager has a cool Graphical User Interface for doing this, but I would like to do it from the command line instead.

So to be even more clear... If my computer was on the internet, I would type

Code:
    sudo apt-get install progA progB progC
    But I can't. Instead I have to go to Synaptic, manually select progA progB and progC and use the "Generate Download Script" which not only tells the online computer what packages to download, but also which dependencies it needs.

It is shuttled to the online computer to download, and then the packages are shuttled back, and installed again using Synaptic.

I would like to remove Synaptic Package manager from this process, entirely.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install progA progB progC --createOfflineScript
    But so far, I haven't found any evidence that this exists...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12