The one thing I wanted to able to do when I installed Ubuntu was play a game on my monitor while watching dl'd a movie on my TV. I've been doing that on windows for more than 10 years. I've been doing it on Ubuntu 10.10 for about 3 years. But not now.

I start up my movie in VLC, Start up my game in wine and as soon as the the sound is loading for my game the sound from my 5.1 system attached to the TV with HDMI cable from my NVIDIA 9600 Gt just stops. I have to turn off wine and restart the movie to get my sound back. I continue to get sound through my PC speakers but that ain't 5.1.

I tried to register with Wine to post there but some text code thing they require is beyond my comprehension. So I come here.

I've been having sound problems with wine for quite awhile now. I keep updating in hope of a fix but nada. I tried their suggestion in their sticky and again nothing. I tried all the sound fixes here and nothing. I've surfed and only found an impression that Wine doesn't like pulse audio.

Why does wine disable some sound functions for my whole system? This issue affects my entire Linux experience. The only other thing I really do is surf and that's Firefox not the OS. The Nvidia driver I get through jockey works far better than the one I get for Windows. I use separate X-screens and can't seem to get a similar function on Windows 7.

Any ideas on how fix this problem?