Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dapper drake

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

dapper drake

peace to ALL in the oss world.. ive just recently installed ubuntu(dapper drake) onto my ibook g3(after 5wks and 11 hrs of trial and error,and a gallon of frustration)im really enjoying the simplicity of the software.. the school i attend in san diego, can only teach 20% open source and the rest windows(but i never really liked mumrah, always was waitn for lion0 to take em out)and now that i have played with ubuntu, i would like to learn more about it.. commands, shortcuts, you name it... if anyone is willing and patient to aide and assist me in my developement and growth with ubuntu, i promise to listen and give a diligent effort.. peace

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: dapper drake

dapper drake? Are you serious?? It is long dead. Try to install a supported version (10.04, 10.10. 11.04 or 11.10) I don't even know that you can still get the iso.

Beans

or....welcome to ubuntu support forums, you will find the search feature of great use, especially for dapper drake specific questions.
    AMD 64 3000+, 2G RAM, ASUS K8N , XFX GS7800, Linux Mint 9 , WinXP(dual boot/seperate HD)

Stalker's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving how much the United States sucks approaches one.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Good that Dapper works, but are you aware that 'unsupported' means that no security bug fixes are being released?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro

Welcome to the Ubuntu community!
    Nice job on the install...but where d'you find the disc image? Not on the Downloads pages of the Ubuntu site...
    We all suggest you try a supported version of Ubuntu.
    I'd suggest either 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" if you want stability, or 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" if you want bleeding-edge.
    Ubuntu's version numbers correspond to the date of release. Typical releases are released in April and October every year, eg 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" was released in April 2011. Typical releases are supported for 18 months, the End of Life of a release. After this date, the release is no longer supported, which will render it vulnerable to security threats and will not receive updates nor patches. You should upgrade before the End of Life. The version you are currently using, 6.06 "Dapper Drake" was released in June 2006.
    You should download a disc image from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download. You can select either 11.10 or 10.04, 32-bit or 64-bit. Burn the download to a disc and install it. Feel free to explore after that.
    Remember, if you need help on (almost) anything, search askubuntu.com and Ubuntu help if it is answered, if not you can ask it here in the Ubuntu forums.
    We promise you'll love Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

there you see the quality of a good OS...even when old and unsupported, it still runs lol

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by aliuntu View Post
    ive just recently installed ubuntu(dapper drake) onto my ibook g3
    Juts to add to what others have said. An iBook G3 would have a PPC processor, so if you want to try a supported version of Ubuntu, you would need to download the correct ISO image, not the one that most people use. You can get a PPC image for 10.04, here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/10.04/release/

Unfortunately, that's for the original 10.04 release, not the latest 10.04-3 point release, for which I couldn't find a download source. If anyone knows of one, if one exists, that would be helpful.

Also - your iBook would have limited RAM, and I'm surprised even Dapper Drake is running on it. How much RAM do you have?

Lastly - if you want a basic guide to Ubuntu, a good place to start is with the Ubuntu Manual, here:

http://ubuntu-manual.org/downloads

Make sure you download the 10.04 one if you decide to install 10.04.

Good luck!
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

Hello and Peace to all that have replied to my post, sorry for the long absence(life has a funny way of getting in the way, lol) since my absence, ive actually installed 10.04 on an old emac g4 and on an old dell dimension 3000(i know the hardware is old and so is the release, im just obsessed with ubuntu like that, so please work with me lol) everyone who replied to my original post was right about drake, at the time it was the only one i could squeeze into that old ibook g3, i gave it to my youngest brother to play around with, just so he could witness the awesomeness of ubuntu for himself, he likes it and is saving money to buy a more up-to-date device(so am i)so that he could get busy with unity. awhile back, i had ordered a bundle from canonical that came with 11.10(kubuntu,11.10-server) i'll order another when 12.10 is released because since 11.10 has long term support, i just want to use them all!! LOl(yes i have issues) i even have a book that came with Natty..Cant wait.. Peace to all of you..

Beans
    Distro

Oh, btw, i have visited some of the sites recommended by you, and would like to thank you all for your kind and resourceful insight.. thank you again, for this is the type of being busy form, i like to be in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

11.10 does NOT have LTS status. The latest desktop version of Ubuntu does, and that is 12.04.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast