Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Help me name this Gnome shell theme

24 karat
    -- Everyday I'm Shuffling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm trying to round up some help from outside this forum.

Every suggestion so far is excellent, pleasantly surprised with the participation.

Beans

Brass Olé

Beans
    Distro

Just an update, the creator of GnomishBeige, tsujan over on Gnome-look has offered to see where the problem lies & help me correct it. With luck this will be done & available in finished form within a few days assuming tsujan or someone can help me correct a couple problems.

If anyone stumbles across this thread and wants to see if they can solve it I would certainly appreciate it.

I am pretty much in favor of calling it The Golden Age or GoldenAge, something like that but you all have come up with some great names for it. If you think your title is the best sell me on it.

Looking over these suggestions there isn't a bad one in the bunch.

Beans
    Distro

Ok gang, you've all made excellent suggestions.

The Golden Age
    Toffee
    Golden Mocha
    Golden Mocha
    Mocha
    Dark Chocolate
    Espresso Coffee
    Macchiato
    coco candy
    mars bar
    burnt buntu
    retro brown derby
    golden huebuntu
    GoldenEye
    Golden Leather
    Golden Satchel
    Chocolate Foil
    Banana Mocha
    Werther's Original
    Golden
    Golden_Shell
    Golden_Eye
    Golden Gnome
    24 karat
    Brass Olé

I did some thinking on it last night & I'd like you all to decide which one to go with. As long as there is enough participation I will remain neutral & let the majority decide what it will be.

An update, tsujan took the gtk-widget.css last night & cleaned it up so that was the major stumbling block. Now it's just a matter of me having the time & the inclination ( I need to be in the "mood" to do this stuff ) to make a few cosmetic tweaks before releasing it into the wild, hopefully that will happen before the weekend is over.

Additionally, I want to use something small in a brass or gold look for the window buttons & I can't find my way around gimp to save my life, so if you come across something that you think would look good against this brown please let me know where to find it. Thanks.

BTW, give me a few minutes & I'll have the updated theme attached to the 1st post.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I kind of like "retro brown derby" shortened to simply "Derby". Nice sounding.
    Very nice theme, Chuck- I like the soft brown-grays a lot!
    What all is left to do on the theme before it's ready? If I can help at all I'd be happy to.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    I kind of like "retro brown derby" shortened to simply "Derby". Nice sounding.
    Very nice theme, Chuck- I like the soft brown-grays a lot!
    What all is left to do on the theme before it's ready? If I can help at all I'd be happy to.
    Hey cortman, I planned to let you guys settle the name thing between yourselves, but that is another good name for sure.

Things to do yet. I want to change the window buttons, darken the panel just a touch & that's about it off the top of my head.

For the record I don't have any idea what I'm doing in regards to creating themes, I have to do a lot of trial & error to reach the results I want. If somebody can do that easy it would expedite the process. If you're good with gimp I'd be happy to delegate recoloring the existing buttons, I like the size & shape, I just think something with gold tones would look nice against that coffee brown. If you or someone you know is good with theming gnome-shell.css I could probably expand my wants a little bit though. I'd like to change the alt+f2 run dialog box if it's easy but I won't lose sleep over it as-is.

I've never taken to brown themes all that much, & now thinking about it there really aren't many available, other than some stock ones. Most tend to run from Mac-like to the dark grays & black that I usually go for but this one is rather soothing and has an elegance about it that sucked me in. Most of my little experiments end up in the trash bin after I tire of playing with them, but I think this is different.

Another benefit to this is that the work tsujan did will help revive the Old Steampunk theme & bring it up to 3.2, which is a nice freebie since Sam has moved on to another DE for the time being & probably won't be updating it himself.

Well, didn't mean to write a book so I'll wrap this post up here.

Don't want to end up in tl;dr territory.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    Hey cortman, I planned to let you guys settle the name thing between yourselves, but that is another good name for sure.

Things to do yet. I want to change the window buttons, darken the panel just a touch & that's about it off the top of my head.

For the record I don't have any idea what I'm doing in regards to creating themes, I have to do a lot of trial & error to reach the results I want. If somebody can do that easy it would expedite the process. If you're good with gimp I'd be happy to delegate recoloring the existing buttons, I like the size & shape, I just think something with gold tones would look nice against that coffee brown. If you or someone you know is good with theming gnome-shell.css I could probably expand my wants a little bit though. I'd like to change the alt+f2 run dialog box if it's easy but I won't lose sleep over it as-is.

I've never taken to brown themes all that much, & now thinking about it there really aren't many available, other than some stock ones. Most tend to run from Mac-like to the dark grays & black that I usually go for but this one is rather soothing and has an elegance about it that sucked me in. Most of my little experiments end up in the trash bin after I tire of playing with them, but I think this is different.

Another benefit to this is that the work tsujan did will help revive the Old Steampunk theme & bring it up to 3.2, which is a nice freebie since Sam has moved on to another DE for the time being & probably won't be updating it himself.

Well, didn't mean to write a book so I'll wrap this post up here.

Don't want to end up in tl;dr territory.
    I won't feel intimidated, then, because I'm just getting my feet wet with themes as well.
    I'll install the theme on my laptop (not here right now) and mess with the alt+F2 box a bit, and see if I can come up with anything on the buttons. I'm not the best gimper around, but I'll take a stab at it.
    I've always been a real fan of steampunk style. This theme is quite nice and mellow. From the screenshots I take it you're currently running it in Gnome fallback? I'll see how it looks in shell as well.
    Here's to successful theming!

Beans

Cup 'o Ubuntu

Think golden, coffee, halo elite…
    AwOken Gold icon theme I see…

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast