Thread: Mobile data carrier that works with Ubuntu?

Beans

Mobile data carrier that works with Ubuntu?

I'm in the USA running Ubuntu 10.04, I need to find a mobile 3G/4G carrier that would work with Ubuntu preferably via Ethernet or USB tethering. WiFi would be the last resort.

Anyone using T-Mobile, Clearwire, Verizon, AT&T, etc. mobile data plans with Ubuntu?

I'm not up in 3G/4G data, but I need Internet access at a remote location that is covered well for cell phones, but impractical for any 802.11x WiFi solution.
    Your commitment to Freedom is measured by your tolerence for others doing things you disapprove.

Beans

Re: Mobile data carrier that works with Ubuntu?

I am using VirginMobile and although I had to "initialize" the usb device on a Windows machine, it has worked perfectly fine since.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Direct tethering and wi-fi hotspot works on my MyTouch 4G with T-mobile, and both are preinstalled on the the phone and it doesn't require rooting or paying for an app.
    Check out my Youtube channel for some awesome gaming videos, including Dragonforce, "Through the Fire and Flames" on Expert Performance Mode from Guitar Hero III. My Youtube Channel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you have an android smartphone (almost any android smartphone) you can tether over USB with linux fairly easily. Some phones/carriers allow this without you needing to do anything (this is a built-in feature for android that is always there unless the carrier/manufacturer blocks it)

If it has been blocked by the carrier or manufacturer, you can usually re-enable it either by paying an additional fee to your carrier. If your carrier can't/won't re-enable it, you can always just root the phone and enable it yourself. Cyanogenmod has USB, BT and WiFi tethering enabled by default, and it one of the better versions of android to install on your phone IMO.

Beans

Thanks!

I'll look into T-Mobile, they seem to have good cell phone coverage at my desired location and a pre-paid data plan I could live with for the ~1 year I'd need this, and reasonably priced devices.

I really have no other use for a "smart phone" as a $100/year pre-paid burner more than meets my telephone requirements.
    Your commitment to Freedom is measured by your tolerence for others doing things you disapprove.