Thread: remove ubuntu-desktop package?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

remove ubuntu-desktop package?

So i am converting to openbox and don't need most of the baggage that comes along with the standard desktop. But most of these packages list ubuntu-desktop as a dependency. So is it safe to remove ubuntu-desktop (Not going to upgrade to maverick) ?
    You guys know of any other resource crunching services that can be removed? ( Currently openbox at idling is at 130 mb Ram and I know that this number can be reduced)
    Ubuntu 12.04 (best thing after 10.04) |Intel Dual Core 2.0GHz|1 Gb DDR2 RAM|Nvidia 8600GM| This PC was bartered for with an iRock from ancient Mesopotamia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: remove ubuntu-desktop package?

I know that is safe to remove the ubuntu-desktop package, and I would love to know about the other thing, I just removed Ubuntu One and Evolution.
    Esos son mis 2 centavos.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jfreak_ View Post
    So i am converting to openbox and don't need most of the baggage that comes along with the standard desktop. But most of these packages list ubuntu-desktop as a dependency. So is it safe to remove ubuntu-desktop (Not going to upgrade to maverick) ?
    You guys know of any other resource crunching services that can be removed? ( Currently openbox at idling is at 130 mb Ram and I know that this number can be reduced)
    Sure. Ubuntu-desktop is a metapackage. You could always try here as well Modest Spec or Barebones Installation of Ubuntu
    Last edited by wojox; September 14th, 2010 at 04:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

On this website you can get the whole list of Ubuntu to remove and just have open box. Be careful at the end of any of these lists is the desktop that is intended to be installed, don't include that.
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde

I have just defaulted to a random page look through the options in the left panel.

Sort of a unusual way of getting the package list for the distro-desktop you want to remove

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    Sure. Ubuntu-desktop is a metapackage. You could always try here as well Modest Spec or Barebones Installation of Ubuntu
    Nah i am already on a 6 month old install and it will be too much of a bother to re-install. So basically want to keep removing unneeded packages, like cups(don't have a printer), evolution, samba etc
    Ubuntu 12.04 (best thing after 10.04) |Intel Dual Core 2.0GHz|1 Gb DDR2 RAM|Nvidia 8600GM| This PC was bartered for with an iRock from ancient Mesopotamia

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Evolution you have to be careful with

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove evolution evolution-common evolution-couchdb evolution-exchange evolution-indicator evolution-plugins evolution-webcal
    I use CUPS and Samba

Beans
    Distro

You have any idea what the guys at crunchbang and peppermint(openbox) have done to keep their usage well below 100mb?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jfreak_ View Post
    You have any idea what the guys at crunchbang and peppermint(openbox) have done to keep their usage well below 100mb?
    They start with a minimal install and build up, rather than starting with a full install and stripping down.

Also, RAM use depends on a number of factors, the biggest being how much RAM you have available. 100mb is a lot if your computer only has 128mb, but if you have 1gb or more, it is nothing.

http://www.linuxatemyram.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This is what I did ;
    Uninstall using the package manager (mark for complete removal)

- bluez
    - bluez-alsa
    - bluez-cups
    - bluez-gstream
    - britty
    - compiz
    - compiz-core
    - computer-janitor
    - empathy
    - empathy-common
    - espeak
    - espeak-data
    - evolution
    - evolution-common
    - evolution-data-server (but not data-server common)
    - evolution-webcal
    - f-spot
    - g-brainy
    - gwibber
    - gwibber-service
    - indicator-me
    - indicator-messages
    - mono-2.0-gac
    - python-ubuntuone
    - python-ubuntuone-client
    - python-ubuntuone-storageprotocol

- shut down , wait a minute then start ... you will see much less memory usage.

- then you can install some lighter apps, like ; gnote , mirage , gufw , abiword , Thunderbird , ubuntu-tweak ,etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: remove ubuntu-desktop package?

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    On this website you can get the whole list of Ubuntu to remove and just have open box. Be careful at the end of any of these lists is the desktop that is intended to be installed, don't include that.
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde

I have just defaulted to a random page look through the options in the left panel.

Sort of a unusual way of getting the package list for the distro-desktop you want to remove
    thanks for URL.