Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Improve performance in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Improve performance in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Triton
    Looking for more info on RUNIT. I've tried InitNG and everytime I install it, it blows up my system. Very frustrate with it. Would like to try it but I looking for a How-To for
    Dapper/Kubuntu.
    I saw an interesting article about Runit on linux.com and have been thinking about trying it. I also have problems with InitNG and in response to the thread above, a guide on deporphan is in Clean up unnecessary files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thanks heaps to the person who posted this howto. I am now making full use of my dual core processor.

Cheers!

Beans

a better OpenOffice is StarOffice, much more stable and better integration to MS Office...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

OpenOffice and StarOffice share a past don't they? Seems like Sun aquired a copy of the source and closed it somehow or other... Anyway at the very least StarOffice used to be free, moneywise and otherwise. I remember using it way back in the day, when Broadband was just getting setup in the major cities of the US. Buncha turn coats... BAH! $70...

heh... wow, I just realized that going open platform has jaded me. I can live with it tho...

bah!

Historical background

StarDivision, the original author of the StarOffice suite of software, was founded in Germany in the mid-1980s. It was acquired by Sun Microsystems during the summer of 1999 and StarOffice 5.2 was released in June of 2000. Future versions of StarOffice software, beginning with 6.0, have been built using the OpenOffice.org source, APIs, file formats, and reference implementation. Sun continues to sponsor development on OpenOffice.org and is the primary contributor of code to OpenOffice.org. CollabNet hosts the website infrastructure for development of the product and helps manage the project.

The OpenOffice.org source code includes the technology which Sun Microsystems has been developing for the future versions of StarOffice(TM) software. The source is written in C++ and delivers language-neutral and scriptable functionality, including Java(TM) APIs. This source technology introduces the next-stage architecture, allowing use of the suite as separate applications or as embedded components in other applications. Numerous other features are also present including XML-based file formats based on the vendor-neutral OpenDocument standard from OASIS and other resources.

A FAQ addresses the changing differences between OpenOffice.org and StarOffice.
    Fine, I'll stop using OOo now too! Bloated anyway!

Differences between StarOffice and OpenOffice.org
    * The source code available at OpenOffice.org does not consist of all of the StarOffice code. Usually, the reason for this is that Sun pays to license third-party code to include in StarOffice that which it does not have permission to make available in OpenOffice.org. Those things which are or will be present in StarOffice but are not available on OpenOffice.org include:
    o Certain fonts (including, especially, Asian language fonts)
    o The database component (Adabas D)
    o Some templates
    o Extensive Clip Art Gallery
    o Some sorting functionality (Asian versions)
    o Certain file filters
    o Commercial spell checker, synonym dictionary
    o Management tools
    For more information on the current features of OpenOffice.org, please see the "Features" page.
    A detailed comparison datasheet is available at Sun Microsystem's web site about OpenOffice.org.
    Last edited by elemental666; June 8th, 2006 at 02:56 PM.

Beans

of course if you have to pay for it its crap, but for me (student) its free... and its definetely more stable. and of course they share the same background.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This worked wonderfully... Just enabled prelinking and swapped my kernel to a k7 one. Performance increase is tangible.

Now, my life would be complete if I could only get a composite manager running on a dual screen ati (9200se) setup.

On the other hand, I'm definitely going nvidia for my next machine

Beans

Smile Re: Improve performance in Ubuntu

=D> nVidia =D>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by enopepsoo
    I read a cool post on slashdot today. There is a debian package named "deborphan" that lists orphaned packages. So do this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install deborphan
    and that will list all of your orpaned packages, so do this to remove them all
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove `deborphan`
    and that should get rid of any packages your system is not using. It is not really a performance boost, but under the wider umbrella of "optimizing."
    Happy Ubuntuing.
    I'd suggest being careful with this as it uninstalled a lot of gstreamer stuff on my system... stuff that I was actually using.

Beans

Ubuntu already use readahead, its a same program as "preload". No need to install then...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by lzap
    Ubuntu already use readahead, its a same program as "preload". No need to install then...
    Yes Ubuntu does use readahead but only at boot. Basically while one process is booting, so is the next one, making that first process start slower. Turning readahead off is really the same as having it on because the first process is taking all the cpu, the seconds process doesn't start as fast but the first does. Readahead is only at boot time. Preload keeps commonly used applications and stuff in your memory, increasing startup times for that application. It learns what you use.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast