Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Improve performance in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Improve performance in Ubuntu

Firefox already has this fix, but Thunderbird can see a great improvement if you disable pango. I use a shell script for this, which my thunderbird launcher points to:

#!/bin/sh
    MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1 mozilla-thunderbird

I assume you can also just add MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1 to /etc/environment to make the change global.

Beans

Also, if you are after performance or you have an old pc or you do not like bloat, you should seriously consider xubuntu (xfce) instead of ubuntu (gnome). Not only it is faster, I personally like it better. Xubuntu is a light and fast desktop manager based on xfce and it comes only with packages that can be considered fairly light and with few dependencies, no OO for instance.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

So the repos on alioth are down and i can't get to Trigger's blog where the initng debs are usually announced. Does anyone have a copy of the initng 0.6.0 debs?

Beans

All you need to do is:

Intel Pentium:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-686 linux-headers-686
    AMD K Series (Duron, Athlon, Sempron):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-k7 linux-headers-k7
    Reboot.

This will install the correct kernel files for your system, and your system will be much more responsive, and you will be able to run amaroK without slowing down your system!

Disabling services, etc., is unnecessary, and may cause needless headaches for new users.

Definitely use Swiftfox rather than Firefox. Swiftfox is sooo easy to setup:
    http://www.getswiftfox.com/
    Last edited by adamkane; June 7th, 2006 at 06:18 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adamkane
    Disabling services, etc. is unnecessary, and may cause needless headaches for new users.
    For new users, yes... it is a dangerous trick. Even using a program like Bootup Manager, it's very easy to cause issues that may kill your system.

However, if you know what you're doing, are not afraid to reload, and have a good reference list, it can provide a significant speed and security boost. Fewer running services reduces your potential attack footprint - it is likely that every service in every OS has undiscovered vulnerabilities, so just disable that which you're certain you don't need.

Another speedup I recommend, especially on low RAM systems? Kill the wallpaper and choose a SIMPLE theme and screensaver. These eat up RAM on any OS, and rarely get swapped out - they're always being called on. So while the lagoon is a great spoof of OSX wallpaper, and the tree is one of the most are inspiring edited photos I've seen, I don't need to see it every day.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

thnx for the index

You should add a warning in bold letters at the top of your post. Some of the things you suggest can seriously harm the system of a new user.

I don't think the ipv6 suggestion speeds up the network for most of us. Maybe it does for some. See this post :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...67&postcount=8
    Also this is a guide for breezy but edwing suggests how to do it in Dapper :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=49

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by JSchwage
    What about better alternatives to OpenOffice? I've actually noticed it takes longer for OO to start up than Firefox on my old Compaq Presario 1200. I think you should mention Scribus or something similiar.
    I use for text: AbiWord, easy and fast

Beans

Looking for more info on RUNIT. I've tried InitNG and everytime I install it, it blows up my system. Very frustrate with it. Would like to try it but I looking for a How-To for
    Dapper/Kubuntu.
    Registered Linux User #415119

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by itomeshi
    On my Centrino 1.4Ghz, 512MB of RAM, etc., it normally takes about 10-12 seconds to load. After this, it is about 3-4. Even if you can only boost it wo 32 or 48 (from 19), it will help.

How do web-based word processors (like Writely) or stand alone solutions like AbiWord perform on your machine?
    Well I haven't been able to try anything else as I'm waiting for my Belkin USB ethernet adapter to arrive from NewEgg. I'm waiting on installing any packages until I have an internet connection on it since it would be like heck trying to satisfy all the dependencies.

But I'll let you know how AbiWord, Scribus, Writely, and some others perform once I get that ethernet adapter.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Red face Re: Improve performance in Ubuntu

I read a cool post on slashdot today. There is a debian package named "deborphan" that lists orphaned packages. So do this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install deborphan
    and that will list all of your orpaned packages, so do this to remove them all
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove `deborphan`
    and that should get rid of any packages your system is not using. It is not really a performance boost, but under the wider umbrella of "optimizing."
    Happy Ubuntuing.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast