Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Improve performance in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Improve performance in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu_demon View Post
    There's a noticable difference between linux-386 and linux-686 (especially if your processor supports SMP).

I don't know how big the difference wil be on your machine. This can't mess up your system. You should try it.
    I've had linux-686 randomly mess up my friend's pc to the point where it wouldn't make it through the boot up procedure and we had to choose 386 in grub and then remove linux-686... oh well...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by klabelkholosh View Post
    Hi, a question.. I just upgraded to the AMD-optimized kernel with "sudo aptitude install linux-k7" but after rebooting, the Software Updates panel wants to install:
    linux-image-2.6.15-26-386
    linux-image-386
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-26-386
    linux-restricted-modules-386

I'm guessing this shouldn't be as I have an AMD chip? Is this normal or is there any way to tell dapper to stop asking me to install these guys?
    When you upgrade to a new kernel, you haven't deleted the old (386) versions - thet are still on your computer so updates will be broadcast for them. If you are happy with the k7 versions then:
    sudo apt-get remove linux-386
    should delete them

Beans

Hey thanks dog! that seems to have fixed it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

first of all, thanks for the great advice and links. i'm excited about getting all of these up and running. i've got a couple simple questions though, because i'm a slow learner...

first of all, what would be the proper/ideal way to use xfce. would it be beneficial simply to install the xfce package on my current ubuntu (gnome) setup, or to reap the benefits, would i need to start w/ a clean xubuntu setup/install?

secondly, i have no idea what video card drivers i am using, nor do i know how to check. my laptop houses a 2-3 year old ati radeon mobility (9000, i think). i have done nothing to install drivers of any sort beyond the default install process. how should i go about checking to see if i have the proper/latest drivers installed?

again, thanks!
    Linux user since January 31st, 2006.
    two ways to live :: the choice we all face

Beans

sorry if I'm a little off-topic... I finally installed xgl+compiz and to my great surprise gnome is now faster. Is anyone else experiencing better performance after installing xgl+compiz?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Cubiq View Post
    sorry if I'm a little off-topic... I finally installed xgl+compiz and to my great surprise gnome is now faster. Is anyone else experiencing better performance after installing xgl+compiz?
    Of course. You're no longer hogging the processor for your basic graphic needs, everything is done using your graphics card, which would otherwise just be bored out of its skull. The effect is especially noticeably if you turn off a lot of the effects from Compiz.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sumadartson View Post
    Of course. You're no longer hogging the processor for your basic graphic needs, everything is done using your graphics card, which would otherwise just be bored out of its skull. The effect is especially noticeably if you turn off a lot of the effects from Compiz.
    Impressive, I thought that compiz would have killed my gnome, instead it seems that the GPU can easily handle the whole desktop on its shoulders I think that a note to xgl+compiz should be added in the first post as an optimization tip (if your gpu can handle it).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

WOW! i actually noticed a difference! thanks!!!
    Windows Vista Ultimate - 32-Bit & Ubuntu v6.10 Edgy Eft
    S939 AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego - 2GB G.Skill ZX [2-3-2-5] - EPoX EP-9NPAJ Board - Western Digital 250GB SATA2 - PCI-e x300SE - 550w Rosewill PSU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Impressive, I thought that compiz would have killed my gnome, instead it seems that the GPU can easily handle the whole desktop on its shoulders I think that a note to xgl+compiz should be added in the first post as an optimization tip (if your gpu can handle it).
    That raises a question I've had - what are the sys requirements for xgl/compiz?
    For dark is the suede that mows like a harvest

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If I recall correctly, XGL was intended to boost performance. Compiz is just some nice eye candy that works off of it.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast