Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Improve performance in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Improve performance in Ubuntu

hey I tried to see if DMA was enabled, because my cd drive is acting screwy so far in dapper, but I don't even have a dev/hdc

is this weird?

Here is the wiki I tried to use:

HTML Code:
    To enable DMA, you need to use the hdparm command and the configuration file hdparm.conf.

These instructions assume that you are trying to enable DMA on hdc, usually the CD-rom drive.

See the what the settings are on /dev/hdc

sudo hdparm /dev/hdc

If you get a line like  using_dma    =  1 (on), DMA is already enabled. Skip to step 4 to see if it has been enabled at boot time.

Enable DMA on /dev/hdc

sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

You have now enabled DMA for the drive. However, in order for the settings to be automatically applied at boot there you need to edit the /etc/hdparm.conf script. To do this use this command: sudo gedit /etc/hdparm.conf

Add the following to the end of your hdparm.conf

/dev/hdc {
    dma = on
    }

(another way of avoiding editing of the hdparm.conf file is to simply run sudo hdparm -d1 -k1 /dev/hdc to keep the DMA flag).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xXx 0wn3d xXx
    Yes Ubuntu does use readahead but only at boot. Basically while one process is booting, so is the next one, making that first process start slower. Turning readahead off is really the same as having it on because the first process is taking all the cpu, the seconds process doesn't start as fast but the first does. Readahead is only at boot time. Preload keeps commonly used applications and stuff in your memory, increasing startup times for that application. It learns what you use.
    Thanks. I see. I will check the preload out, I hope it wont eat much memory...

Beans

Question Re: Improve performance in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by adamkane
    All you need to do is:

Intel Pentium:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-686 linux-headers-686
    AMD K Series (Duron, Athlon, Sempron):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-k7 linux-headers-k7
    Reboot.

This will install the correct kernel files for your system, and your system will be much more responsive, and you will be able to run amaroK without slowing down your system!

Disabling services, etc., is unnecessary, and may cause needless headaches for new users.

Definitely use Swiftfox rather than Firefox. Swiftfox is sooo easy to setup:
    http://www.getswiftfox.com/
    Hi, I'm brand new to linux, running xubuntu.

Does installing the Pentium kernel files also speed up Celeron systems or is there another package like this for Celerons? Mine is 450 and based on Pentium 2/3 (don't know which).

Seperate question - why does doing this cause amaroK to not slow down the system? Won't it still have to install KDE packages?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

does it support celeron m? is celeron m part of 686 family?i've installed the 686 kernel image...i dont think there is improvement..previously i had installed the 2.6.15-25-386 via automatic update..and it does not perform well in aiglx as the default one(2.6.15-23-386 which is dapper's default )...is it okay to remove the 686 kernel image?

Beans

Dash!

Other tip: use dash as /bin/sh

dash is a posix compliant shell that is smaller and (much) faster than bash. By redirecting sh most scripts will run faster while the login shell will remain unchanged

Code:
    sudo apt-get install dash
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash
    Answer Yes to the question 'Install dash as /bin/sh?'
    Last edited by ago; June 30th, 2006 at 11:43 PM.

Beans

Re: Dash!

Quote Originally Posted by ago
    Other tip: use dash as /bin/sh

dash is a posix compliant shell that is smaller and (much) faster than bash. By redirecting sh most scripts will run faster while the login shell will remain unchanged

Code:
    sudo apt-get install dash
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash
    Answer Yes to the question 'Install dash as /bin/sh?'
    Hi,
    i tried this, but some scripts fails or output errors like:
    [[: not found

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Textmaker office isn't a bad alternative to openoffice.. it costs some money but not a whole lot.. you can download the 30 day trial at their site.. seems to work fine in xubuntu.. just downloaded the .tgz file, extracted it to a folder, then clicked on the file named tml inside the folder and it installed and was running in no time.. really a nice fast word processor.. worthwhile if you don't mind spending a few bucks..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by inovermyheadd View Post
    hey I tried to see if DMA was enabled, because my cd drive is acting screwy so far in dapper, but I don't even have a dev/hdc

is this weird?

the likelyhood is that your cd drive is a different device, mine for example is /dev/hda (this is because my hard drive's /dev/sda) what you want to do is enter the command:
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    [you'll get output something like this:
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
    /dev/sda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
    /dev/sda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
    /dev/hda        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
    the bit you want is the line that has the mount point /media/cdrom0 on it. The last line in mine.

so just go through the guide using the other device name

hope that helps
    Last edited by rohan!; July 10th, 2006 at 03:39 PM.

Beans

sorry, i don't know how to delet posts

Code:
    ~$ cd pub
    ~/pub$ more beer
    Last edited by rohan!; July 10th, 2006 at 04:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This is only for desktops and not for servers.

here's an interesting spec for Edgy :
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CFQbyDefault

Quote Originally Posted by Rationale
    In Dapper and previous releases, there has been no default scheduler set at install time, thus the system defaults to the native Linux scheduler. A number of users (including this spec's author) have encountered temporary system lockups when entering Gnome(/KDE/other wm) due to the system load. Enabling CFQ as the default scheduler fixes these lockups. Other major distributions, like Red Hat, also enable CFQ by default.
    You can find the related HOWTO on this page :
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JoeyStanford/UbuntuFAQs

I've tested it and it worked for me (I can use the terminal almost right away instead of having to wait for a couple of seconds).
    Last edited by ubuntu_demon; July 14th, 2006 at 06:31 PM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast