Thread: LiveCD and mounting partitions

Beans

LiveCD and mounting partitions

I am not sure if this is the proper place to post this, but since I am new to creating LiveCDs, it seems like the perfect place.

I have installed Ubuntu 11.10 server and have it configured the way I want it to be configured. I created a LiveCD using bootcdwrite and I am able to boot from the cd without any problems.

When I try to access the first partition on the hard drive in the system /dev/sda1, I am able to mount the system without any problem, but the only thing visible is the contents of /boot.

When I try to do the following:
    sudo chroot /mnt /bin/bash, I receive a message stating /bin/bash cannot be found. If my understanding is correct, this is because /bin/bash cannot be found on /dev/sda1 which is mounted to /mnt.

When mounting /dev/sda1, how can I make more than just the /boot directory visible?

Thanks for your help.

Jay

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: LiveCD and mounting partitions

Maybe there only is the /boot directory on /dev/sda1. What happens if you mount the other partitions? Does everything show up?
    check out KDE Neon
    Dell Inspiron 5625, AMD Ryzen 7 5825U

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm trying to clarify if I understand your post-you are booting from the livecd and then mounting the hard drive partition sda1 to /mnt. I'm thinking /bin/bash isn't found because as you say it's not really where the booted environment expects it to be. What exactly do you have on sda1 is there a full (server) install there?
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans

The other two partitions are not mountable. Basically, they are a logical drive inside of a physical drive for swap space.

However, your post did show me (when I examined what was mounted very carefully) / is mounted from /dev/mapper/LiveFSUbuntu-root. When I mounted /dev/mapper entry when booted from the LiveCD, I was able to access the information on the drive without any problem.

What would be the best source to learn more about the disc hierarchy Ubuntu uses?

Thank you.