Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove ttf-mscorefonts-installer ?

Beans

Unhappy How to remove ttf-mscorefonts-installer ?

I have just started using a System76 Bonobo and want to virtualise an older Windows machine (I work with SQL Server). So I used Parallels to make a usable image of the machine and tried to install Parallels Workstation on the Linux machine (Ubuntu 11.10). It ran for about 12 hours and then we suffered a power cut, so I had to kill the process and close down (I think 12 hours is a little long!).

Anyhow, I've subsequently tried installing VirtualBox and received this error immediately:

There seems to be a programming error in aptdaemon, the software that allows you to install/remove software and to perform other package management related tasks.

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 968, in simulate
    trans.unauthenticated = self._simulate_helper(trans)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 1092, in _simulate_helper
    return depends, self._cache.required_download, \
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 235, in required_download
    pm.get_archives(fetcher, self._list, self._records)
    SystemError: E:I wasn't able to locate a file for the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package. This might mean you need to manually fix this package.

I tried to remove and then re-install the core fonts package, but get this during removal:

installArchives() failed: dpkg: error processing ttf-mscorefonts-installer (--remove):
    Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
    reinstall it before attempting a removal.
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    ttf-mscorefonts-installer

It seems that I need to repair the Source Fonts before VirtualBox will install, but I can't re-install it (the installer offers removal only).

Have I reached a black hole that only re-installing the whole OS will fix

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to remove ttf-mscorefonts-installer ?

Well you can remove vb and then install it again you don't need to reinstall ubuntu to do that. You could also try
    sudo apt-get update --fix- missing
    but I'm not sure that will help just allow the package manager to remove virtual box and then install it again.
    Last edited by phidia; December 7th, 2011 at 03:35 AM. Reason: corrected command I entered incorrectly
    Alternate (psychocats.net) Ubuntu info resource

Helping isn't what the logical mind thinks it is because when you help others you're really helping yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What about reinstalling through Synaptic?
    Ubuntu Manual - Good Tutorials
    Webupd8 - Cinnamon! - Synapse
    Some just want to watch the world LEARN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Did you try:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    in terminal. That will clean out all downloaded packages. They are stored on your computer. Possible that one of the packages is corrupted. Try installing again and see what happens.

Beans

Thanks for the suggestions -

phidia: it was trying to install VBox that surfaced the problem - VBox just gave up trying to install (so far as I know)!
    I have tried "sudo apt-get fix-missing". Did you mistype something? I get "E: Invalid operation fix-missing" in return and don't see anything obvious in the help ...

73ckn797: yes, I did try "sudo apt-get clean". I tried it after VBox failed, and it still failed

My problem seems to be that the install of the ttf-mscorefonts-installer seems to be munged up somehow. If I could get rid of it I could try replacing it and then maybe VBox would like what it finds again ...?

I have to confess: I'm a noobie to using Linux as my main system. I've had a Ubuntu 9.04 system on an eeeBox for a couple of years and enjoyed what I could do with it, so wanted more power! Maybe I wished for too much!

Thanks to you both for the suggestions: do you have any more ... please!

Beans

OH, and thanks too to you, blackbird34. However, Synaptic is what U11.10 uses as the System Software Center (at least, it comes up looking the same!), and it also only offers "Removal", which still doesn't work! The message is:

installArchives() failed: dpkg: error processing ttf-mscorefonts-installer (--remove):
    Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
    reinstall it before attempting a removal.
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    ttf-mscorefonts-installer
    Error in function:
    SystemError: E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Which may be great advice, but how do I _install_ it when all Synaptic will offer is Removal? What does dpkg do?

I hate software (been writing it since school, so I should know better by now!)

Beans

It shouldn't hurt to try
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a && sudo apt-get update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My bad the command is
    sudo apt-get update --fix- missing
    Not sure it would help in this situation but corrections are good

Fixed in my initial response this thread too.
    Alternate (psychocats.net) Ubuntu info resource

Helping isn't what the logical mind thinks it is because when you help others you're really helping yourself.

Beans

Thanks, mc4man. it didn't do any harm to run "sudo dpkg --configure -a && sudo apt-get update", but unfortunately removing the corefonts installer still fails - same error message as before.

I tried looking at the installed packages and found this:

rHR ttf-mscorefonts-installer 3.3ubuntu4 (no description available)

and the HR mean "Half-installed. Re-install required".

So how do I get rid of this pesky package? Anyone got any suggestions? Or ideas of where I should ask, even?

-- tia -- Mike

Beans

So I decided to believe the message ... and did
    apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
    and I get a MS EULA page up on my Terminal (what a horrible sight!)

It seems to want me to do something - it has " <Ok> " at the bottom as I scroll through it - but how do I accept the thing? I suspect that this might be why I had to kill off the Parallels installation in the first place - it was just sitting waiting for the "ok" from the EULA.

But how, for heavens' sake ?!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast