Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re-installed 11.10 and wiped home partition...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Re-installed 11.10 and wiped home partition...

I'm not too big of an expert but it shouldn't get written unless you copy files to it or run the OS from it.

I always had the impression testdisk was a better tool for recovering whole deleted/formatted partitions, not photorec. Have you tried it? And the deep scan, not just the normal one?

Their example of recovering lost partitions (not sure if it applies to formatted too): http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You are probably right, testdisk seems more like the thing I need. I'm just too paranoid to run it before I dd'd the partition. I have to wait until the weekend to buy a big enough harddrive to do that but I couldn't wait, so in the meantime I'm using photorec. I tried a newer version which has now recovered seemingly all of my photos so I'm very-very pleased!! I'm doing one media type only at a time so files won't get too mixed up.
    Hopefully early next week I'll manage to try testdisk finally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I've tried testdisk and it found my old home partition. I could even list some files but oddly enough only one user folder, not the one that had the data I was looking for. Is there a reason why testdisk would only find a more recently used user's folder and not older ones? Or is there a different reason why testdisk is not finding other folders that I am otherwise able to recover data from using photorec?
    Last edited by almalaci; December 16th, 2011 at 12:40 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12