Thread: realtime kernel version vs ubuntu installed version

Beans

realtime kernel version vs ubuntu installed version

hi there, this is a doubt about the realtime kernel version i can (or i cannot) install. My ubuntu installed version is 11.04 Natty, as i am working with audio i have realtime kernel version 2.6.33.29.1 from abogani. In his ppa there is a newer version, 3.2.0.2, but it's for Oneiric.

My question is, is it safe to install the realtime kernel for a newer ubuntu version in an older version? In this case, the one for Oneiric in Natty? Before upgrading to Natty i did something like that, i had maverick installed and got the realtime kernel i am using now, which was intended for Natty version. I had to hack the installation a bit still, installing manually linux headers from https://launchpad.net/ and then the abogani packages, to solve broken dependencies. I don't know if this affects the performance and reliability of the system, i only noticed that my wifi was not showing the signal strength of the wifi networks available properly, it always showed full strength when using the generic kernel, and showed properly only when using the realtime kernel, thought that was the only thing i noticed about it.

someone could tell me any cons?

cheers

Beans

Re: realtime kernel version vs ubuntu installed version

I talked to abogani and he told me it was not a good idea.

cheers.