Thread: How to set a static IP?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to set a static IP?

You were using this:

inet addr:192.168.2.103
    And that is almost always inside the range of dynamic address already allocated.
    You cannot use one of those.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I always use static IPs for my LAN eth0 connections. It is simply a matter of configuring one file... /etc/network/interfaces.

The instructions given in the OP's link seem fine to me. You can also tweak your DNS settings if necessary as described in the link.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    You were using this:
    And that is almost always inside the range of dynamic address already allocated.
    You cannot use one of those.
    The problem is my router will not allow me to allocate a static IP outside the range specified for the allocation of IPs.

The result is the router does allocate the static IP and all PCs can access the Ubu-11 PC on the network. But, the Ubu-11 PC cannot access shared files or printers on Windows PCs on the network.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

burnsmicro: In my experience most routers are highly configurable and you should be able to change most parameters. All you need to know is how?

The instruction manual you received with the router should explain this but if it doesn't contain everything then it should be possible to download a full version from the manufacturer's website.

BTW, which make/model of router do you have? What is the "gateway" IP address for your router and what is your preferred static IP address for the Ubuntu PC? Do you have any other PCs connected via DHCP and, if so, what range of IP addresses is currently defined in the router?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12