Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repartition single-boot Ubuntu 11.10 HD to allow for Linux multi-boot set-up?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Repartition single-boot Ubuntu 11.10 HD to allow for Linux multi-boot set-up?

The system is finally up and running the way I want it to, more or less. Thanks again for the posts with advice and links

I read the links from the post above and also, completely by accident, came across this recent thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1896695

where Morbius1 explains the use of bind (rather than bindfs) and offers a short tutorial.

So I created new directories in /mnt/data/ as follows:

Code:
     sudo mkdir /mnt/data/Documents /mnt/data/Pictures /mnt/data/Music /mnt/data/Videos
    Then

Code:
     sudo mount --bind /mnt/data/Documents /home/myusername/Documents
    then rinse and repeat for Pictures, Music and Videos

Important caveat - move out stuff from /home/myusername/Documents, Music etc BEFORE performing --bind because the files will disappear afterwards. I had already made copies of my files from /home to /mnt/data earlier and then just moved the files to their respective subdirectories (docs, pictures, etc); the original files in /home/myusername/Documents were nowhere to be found after --bind.

It has been working so far. I also want to experiment with linking but haven't gotten around to this yet.

Finally, I installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS in the 20GB partition and it is working as well. I can access and save data to the /mnt/data partition from there so am pleased as punch.

Next step: format some of the unallocated space at the end of the hard drive and install something adventurous but not drastic (I do not feel up to installing arch linux just yet). Suggestions for other distributions to try out are welcome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Repartition single-boot Ubuntu 11.10 HD to allow for Linux multi-boot set-up?

A few more notes on partitioning & multi-boot: finally got around to partitioning the unallocated 60GB at the end of the hard disk and found out that (a) you can only have 4 primary partitions (knew that) and (b) only one of those partitions can be extended (the implications of that had not registered properly for some reason). The end result being that I could not split the 60GB further; I probably could've added them to the extended partition and created more logical partitions but decided not to muck around with something that's working. So ended up formatting the 60GB as the last primary partition (sda4), mounting and setting permissions as above and installing Mint 12 to try out. For this partition I set the permissions as 755 and that seemed to work.

Also went back and changed the permissions for /mnt/data and mnt/othersystems to 755 and no problems so far. After installing 10.04 and Mint the ownership of both reverted to root rather than mysername, the permissions stayed as I had set them.

A few notes to self for next time I start from scratch:

1. Update the BIOS before deleting Windows 7
    2. Create 3 primary partitions (say 20GB, 20GB and 4 to 8 GB for swap) and make the rest one extended with one large logical partition for data and several smaller, say 20GB each, for other OSs)
    3. Set permission as 755 from the start
    4. Don't forget to make the bind permanent

So far so good, really liking the way Ubuntu, and Linux in general, work. The flexibility is amazing and I'm still slightly power-drunk from learning to use the terminal. Found a few books and a few online courses to look into

Cheers and thanks for the help again. Hope this thread might be useful to other people; I definitely plan to use it for future reference.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Glad it is working.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12