Thread: Sudoers File Permissions Error

Hybrid View

Beans

Unhappy Sudoers File Permissions Error

Recently, when I've been trying to use any "sudo" commands in the Terminal, it's been rejecting me and coming up with this error:

sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0666, should be 0440
    sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting

And then putting me back to the ordinary command line. This is urgent, as it renders in particular the "sudo apt-get" and "sudo -i" commands totally invalid; I can't install apps from the command line. I have absolutely no idea what caused this, neither do I have any idea how to fix it (probably something to do with chmod, but when I try that, it rejects me) - so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: Sudoers File Permissions Error

Easiest way to fix it would be from install CD or bootable iso on USB. But when you sudo chmod it from there, you need to begin with the path to your mounted internal hard drive before the etc/sudoers.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by efflandt View Post
    Easiest way to fix it would be from install CD or bootable iso on USB. But when you sudo chmod it from there, you need to begin with the path to your mounted internal hard drive before the etc/sudoers.
    How do I do that?

EDIT: Forget it, I'm moving to Mint.
    Last edited by eXtaticus; December 6th, 2011 at 06:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by eXtaticus View Post
    Recently, when I've been trying to use any "sudo" commands in the Terminal, it's been rejecting me and coming up with this error:

sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0666, should be 0440
    sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting

And then putting me back to the ordinary command line. This is urgent, as it renders in particular the "sudo apt-get" and "sudo -i" commands totally invalid; I can't install apps from the command line. I have absolutely no idea what caused this, neither do I have any idea how to fix it (probably something to do with chmod, but when I try that, it rejects me) - so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    boot the os in recovery mode(at boot time keep the shift key pressed untill u see the grub menu, press again shift to see the recovery menu) and from there select shell prompt as root user:
    once u login do :
    Code:
    chmod 440 /etc/sudoers
    reboot now

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!