Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Android tablets for Mythtv control

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Android tablets for Mythtv control

I came across another app called Mythmobile. I haven't tried it but the installation looks a little involved and I'm not sure how the android device gets the app. It may be through mythweb. Here's the url:

http://nowsci.com/mythmobile/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by williammanda View Post
    I came across another app called Mythmobile. I haven't tried it but the installation looks a little involved and I'm not sure how the android device gets the app. It may be through mythweb. Here's the url:

http://nowsci.com/mythmobile/
    There is no app. It is web based, you use the browser on your mobile device.

Beans

Just want to add that I actually got me a sony Tablet... this turned out to be a big hit in regards to WAF.

DNLA support on the backend and the streaming all recorded material in super quality audio and video.

Only 3 things to be mentioned are:
    1) no info on "what have I already watched"
    2) HD material lags bigtime over wifi
    3) viewing content that is being recorded as you watch it it not possible. When opening the file for viewing it - is in some way - limited to the length of the file at the point of opening it. I.e. a recording is 10 min. into the show when opening it and the dlna client sees it as only being 10 min. long and then stops.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm interested in the quad-core that Nvidia is coming out with. Also the new android OS ice cream sandwich.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikulator View Post
    Just want to add that I actually got me a sony Tablet... this turned out to be a big hit in regards to WAF.

DNLA support on the backend and the streaming all recorded material in super quality audio and video.

Only 3 things to be mentioned are:
    1) no info on "what have I already watched"
    2) HD material lags bigtime over wifi
    3) viewing content that is being recorded as you watch it it not possible. When opening the file for viewing it - is in some way - limited to the length of the file at the point of opening it. I.e. a recording is 10 min. into the show when opening it and the dlna client sees it as only being 10 min. long and then stops.
    Now you are changing the subject from control by android to playing back on android

There have been some interesting discussions about this on the mailing list recently, including:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...v/users/496757

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...v/users/500905

Bubbleupnp with vplayer works for me, as does plex (althoug the android plex player costs a small amount of money, not a huge amount though.

Beans

I did my research, knew what I wanted and when I found it, I bought it... Having owned an Android tablets for a couple of years was helpful, the stuff I learned in this forum was helpful, and taking my time was helpful.

Probably the biggest issue with the Android Tablets are companies that are out to make the quick buck, they have low prices on tablets that are not certified for the Android Marketplace, that's a killer.

If you do spend the money, from what I have seen, you get a good product.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    Now you are changing the subject from control by android to playing back on android

True and for that I am sorry.

Bubbleupnp with vplayer works for me, as does plex (althoug the android plex player costs a small amount of money, not a huge amount though.
    I use Bubbleupnp too, but I still have the minor issue noted. The player I suspect does not influence the length of shows being recorded as you are watching them.

Beans

My ESPOW bought tablet pc which comes with a 10.1" capacitive multi-touch screen with a resolution of 1024*600, a Android 2.3 OS and 1.2GHz CPU, a 512MB memory and 4GB flash, two cameras including 0.3MP front camera&2.0MP back camera, supports for WiFi, 3G and Bluetooth.
    Can it use XP?
    Last edited by tonymq; March 13th, 2012 at 09:00 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tonymq View Post
    My ESPOW bought tablet pc which comes with a 10.1" capacitive multi-touch screen with a resolution of 1024*600, a Android 2.3 OS and 1.2GHz CPU, a 512MB memory and 4GB flash, two cameras including 0.3MP front camera&2.0MP back camera, supports for WiFi, 3G and Bluetooth.
    Can it use XP?
    Go away. Or am I missing your humour?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If anyone is looking for a fairly decent tablet at a good price, try the Vizio tablet. It has a smaller screen, but for less than $200 USD, it is affordable for most of us. There is a local business where I live that sells Vizio TV's and other refurbished items, and they cannot keep the Vizio tablets in stock. They are flying off the shelves, and they have not seen any returns.

Locally they sell for about $230 USD, but I have seen Overstock.com selling them for $189 with a free case.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast