Thread: downloading pdfs with TOR

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

downloading pdfs with TOR

Hi all. Two quick TOR questions.

First, I want to use TOR to download .pdf files or .torrent files (just the .torrent file, not actually use a torrent client to get the substance of the torrent), but when I try, I get this:

~~~~~
    An external application is needed to handle:

file.pdf

NOTE: External applications are NOT Tor safe by default and can unmask you!

If this file is untrusted, you should either save it to view while offline or in a VM,
    or consider using a transparent Tor proxy like Tails LiveCD or torsocks.
    ~~~~~

Am I OK? Can I proceed safely and anonymously?

Also, I want to use a web-based email service via TOR so as to have anonymous email capabilities. Gmail worked for a while, but just asked me what city I usually log in from, cause it thought my account was hijacked. Know any web-based email providers that will work with TOR?

Thanks!
    querent

edit: "file.pdf" was not the original name.
    Jesus saves. Everyone else takes 10d6.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: downloading pdfs with TOR

Quote Originally Posted by querent View Post
    Hi all. Two quick TOR questions.

First, I want to use TOR to download .pdf files or .torrent files (just the .torrent file, not actually use a torrent client to get the substance of the torrent), but when I try, I get this:

~~~~~
    An external application is needed to handle:

file.pdf

NOTE: External applications are NOT Tor safe by default and can unmask you!

If this file is untrusted, you should either save it to view while offline or in a VM,
    or consider using a transparent Tor proxy like Tails LiveCD or torsocks.
    ~~~~~

Am I OK? Can I proceed safely and anonymously?

Also, I want to use a web-based email service via TOR so as to have anonymous email capabilities. Gmail worked for a while, but just asked me what city I usually log in from, cause it thought my account was hijacked. Know any web-based email providers that will work with TOR?

Thanks!
    querent

edit: "file.pdf" was not the original name.
    Hushmail might work with Tor pretty well , I would think it would be in their client-bases interest.

As far as external applications, they obviously may not be configured to route their traffic through tor , thus tor warns you that is the case. If you have Tor set up as your network proxy than those applications SHOULD utilize it as well.

Also it's important to know that Tor does not and can not make you truly anonymous. Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the tip on hushmail

I'm not sure if I'm trying to use any other applications...I'm just hoping to be able to download files anonymously (or as anonymously as I am while browsing with TOR), so I can later view them off line.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Beans

Bittorent gives out your IP, using TOR or not.

The projects blog says so.
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Beans
    Distro

I do understand that...I'm just taking about downloading the .torrent files, not actually engaging in p2p transfer.

Forget the torrent part, if that helps. Say I'm just trying to download a pdf from a site I'm visiting via the TOR network. Does this uncloak me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Downloading the file without opening it should be fine I think. The PDF will open using an application other than the browser, and if there are any scripts, links, or whatever in the PDF that go out to other domains and only the browser is routed through TOR, it might be a concern to some folks because the PDF reader isn't. If you set it to save rather than open upon download and then only view the file while disconnected, I wouldn't expect it to be a problem.