Thread: Power Supply Cable Damage

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Power Supply Cable Damage

I got my Serp7 earlier in the year, and over the course of the last few months, the cable on the power brick has become damaged. It started with the black rubber casing tearing and peeling back to reveal the white insulator, and recently that has torn as well to reveal the bare wire. I've since covered it as best I can with electrical tape, but this is right at the base of the wire where it meets the power brick, and I'm afraid it's a bit difficult to completely cover it. How would I go about requesting a new one, since this thing is still under warranty?
    See, the problem with the world today is stupidity. I don't think it should be a crime or anything, but what I think we should do is take all the safety lables off everything and let the problem solve itself.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Power Supply Cable Damage

I would recommend emailing S76 directly at:

support@system76.com

Good luck and I hope all works out for you! The folks there have unparalleled tech support!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cbennett926 View Post
    I would recommend emailing S76 directly at:

support@system76.com

Good luck and I hope all works out for you! The folks there have unparalleled tech support!
    Thanks! Yeah, half the reason I got my laptop from them is all the good stuff I've heard about tech support, but thankfully, haven't had to use it yet!
    See, the problem with the world today is stupidity. I don't think it should be a crime or anything, but what I think we should do is take all the safety lables off everything and let the problem solve itself.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well keep me posted on how it all works out I'm really interested on how soon their support times are (shipping dates, how soon they get back to you, etc. etc.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

first thing i would ask is what is straining on the power cord to cause the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Echo35 View Post
    I got my Serp7 earlier in the year, and over the course of the last few months, the cable on the power brick has become damaged. It started with the black rubber casing tearing and peeling back to reveal the white insulator, and recently that has torn as well to reveal the bare wire. I've since covered it as best I can with electrical tape, but this is right at the base of the wire where it meets the power brick, and I'm afraid it's a bit difficult to completely cover it. How would I go about requesting a new one, since this thing is still under warranty?
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate || My WIKI
    ---------------------------

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bluexrider View Post
    first thing i would ask is what is straining on the power cord to cause the issue?
    No idea. I'm not wrapping it around the brick or pulling it tight when I store it, so I'm not sure why it would be so damaged. I take it out and store it in my bag a lot, but again, I'm not pulling it tight or wrapping it around the brick.

Quote Originally Posted by cbennett926 View Post
    Well keep me posted on how it all works out I'm really interested on how soon their support times are (shipping dates, how soon they get back to you, etc. etc.)
    Will do. I emailed them yesterday about it, but it's the weekend, so I'll start counting tomorrow

Update:

They emailed me back this morning:

Hi

The damage you describe appears to be as a result of day to day use (as a result of pulling/tugging). We do sell replacements for the Serp7 on our website. The cost is $99.00.

To get to the spot you could order these, you would need to log into your account and select the order for the Serval and then go into the accessories available on the order.

Best Regards,

Mark Hoffart
    Pretty low grade bricks if they call this day to day use I don't have $100 to spend right now, so I guess I'll just get some heat shrink and fix it myself.
    Last edited by Echo35; December 5th, 2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Information update.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Pretty low grade bricks if they call this day to day use I don't have $100 to spend right now, so I guess I'll just get some heat shrink and fix it myself.
    I don't know if they skimp on the AC adapters, but I got a brand new LemU4 with a busted AC adapter. Thankfully, I'm being sent a replacement under warranty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No idea. I'm not wrapping it around the brick or pulling it tight when I store it, so I'm not sure why it would be so damaged. I take it out and store it in my bag a lot, but again, I'm not pulling it tight or wrapping it around the brick.

Will do. I emailed them yesterday about it, but it's the weekend, so I'll start counting tomorrow

Update:

They emailed me back this morning:

What's your ticket number? I can check up and see if that was a determination of the repair facility or the tech looking at the pictures.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!