Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP DM1Z freezes randomly

Beans

HP DM1Z freezes randomly

I recently installed 11.10 on my new HP dm1z (using wubi). Most of the conversations about this machine have centered on the wireless drivers or the touchpad, but I can't find anyone (except for one blog post elsewhere) who talks about the random freezing effect.

About every other day, everything just freezes: the mouse, the programs, everything. Ctl-alt-del does nothing, so I eventually have to just turn the machine off by holding the power button. I can't find any consistent reason, as it seems to happen regardless of the number of programs open, what I'm doing, etc. (I can't remember if it happened when I was using a direct ethernet connection or if it's only when the wireless is activated.)

I know it's a longshot, but part of me wonders if it has anything to do with HP's CoolSense program, which in Windows uses some sort of (I assume?) hardware to know if the laptop is bumping around or sitting on a desk, adjusting fan power accordingly. The only reason I suggest that is because it froze once right after I moved it from my lap to the couch--a possible movement issue--and because CoolSense feels fancy enough that I know nothing about it.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HP DM1Z freezes randomly

Quote Originally Posted by basementwall View Post
    I recently installed 11.10 on my new HP dm1z (using wubi). Most of the conversations about this machine have centered on the wireless drivers or the touchpad, but I can't find anyone (except for one blog post elsewhere) who talks about the random freezing effect.

About every other day, everything just freezes: the mouse, the programs, everything. Ctl-alt-del does nothing, so I eventually have to just turn the machine off by holding the power button. I can't find any consistent reason, as it seems to happen regardless of the number of programs open, what I'm doing, etc. (I can't remember if it happened when I was using a direct ethernet connection or if it's only when the wireless is activated.)

I know it's a longshot, but part of me wonders if it has anything to do with HP's CoolSense program, which in Windows uses some sort of (I assume?) hardware to know if the laptop is bumping around or sitting on a desk, adjusting fan power accordingly. The only reason I suggest that is because it froze once right after I moved it from my lap to the couch--a possible movement issue--and because CoolSense feels fancy enough that I know nothing about it.

Any ideas?
    Never had this problem when installing from the CD. Have you tried it?

Shuji

Beans

Same problem here. Randomly, Ubuntu freeze for a while(1 - 5 seconds). No matter what programs Im running or doing.

I've been googling for fairly and can't find how to workaround it.

Did you solve it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I'm thinking some kernel module (driver) is freezing randomly.
    Give us the dmesg output when it freezes again.
    "Everything that has a beginning, has an end." --an unexpectedly wise wallpaper

Beans

It's not just Ubuntu, I have this problem on Fedora 16.

Beans

I've replicated this issue with Ubuntu 12.04 as well.

The same system running windows 7 x64 (on another disk) works like a champ.

I've also noted that suspend (by closing the lid) resets and returns to original point. This is somewhat of a pain, as it seems to happen several times per hour.

I've also noted that plugging in a USB keyboard or mouse returns functionality, but the laptop keyboard and trackpad don't return until reboot or suspend.

Beans

I've had this problem with ubuntu 11.10, 12.04, and Fedora 17, all on the same machine. I really can't tell what is causing it, but it is driving me completely insane, since it's basically forcing me to use windows. a worse fate is hardly imaginable.

Beans

I've done a bit more testing, and discovered that I do not have this issue under windows 7 installed from the HP recovery media.

I also discovered that the freeze only seems to affect the local keyboard and trackpad, if I have a USB keyboard and mouse attached the system is responsive, it just won't work with the local keyboard and trackpad.

I've updated all the HP firmware and tested again under ubuntu 12.04, and still have the problem.

Any ideas would be wonderful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Similar problem. Sometimes the mouse will still move, but usually everything stops working. It doesn't even recognize the caps lock key. Any music will keep playing the sound it was on when it froze.

Copied from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post12378267

Laptop: Asus B53J
    Processor: Intel I5
    Graphics card: ATK, I think.

System freezes every time I use it.

Symptoms:

- Sometimes I can move the mouse, sometimes I can't.
    - It happens randomly, even while browsing the internet.
    - It can be a few hours after I start it up, or sooner.
    - It happens invariably if I try to load music to a music player through Rhythm Box

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Did anyone in this tread eventually solve their problems? I'm still in a serious bind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast