Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts on all the Desktop Environment bashing recently and ideas on solving it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Thoughts on all the Desktop Environment bashing recently and ideas on solving it.

Quote Originally Posted by StephanG View Post
    I think what the OP is trying to say, is that there seems to be a MUCH larger focus on "Winning a user over to my distro/DE" than there is a focus on "Let us help you find the distro/DE that works best for you."

And, I can definitely understand the sentiment.

I LIKE Ubuntu. I like how simple it is to add a PPA, or install proprietary graphics drivers. But, I also like KDE. So, for me, that means Kubuntu.

Perhaps we should have a sticky, or thread or something for each DE where users of that DE, can post advantages to that DE, little tricks and features that a quick glance might not reveal.

Then, as a KDE user, I can add something to KDE's thread, for example, "If you want to copy specific songs to an external, USB device, or your phone connected as a USB device you can use Amarok. Just put the songs you want to copy in the playlist, select the playlist, and then simply drag it into Dolphin. And then select 'Copy Here'."

What I am thinking, is that threads like that, might provide a wealth of information to people looking for a DE meeting a specific set of requirements that they have, or a project that requires a certain level of performance or features.

I think what the OP was simply trying to get at, was "Let's see if we can make DE selection a matter of which DE I LOVE MOST, and not a case of which DE I HATE LEAST."
    Since you seem interested in such a thread, see this one I wrote.

Beans

Re: Thoughts on all the Desktop Environment bashing recently and ideas on solving it.

im easy i guess, the only ones i really hate are kde and unity, and those could both be improved into something i would like.

my favorite right now is lxde, followed by xfce, and im keeping my eye on pantheon

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dustintendo View Post
    im easy i guess, the only ones i really hate are kde and unity, and those could both be improved into something i would like.

my favorite right now is lxde, followed by xfce, and im keeping my eye on pantheon
    I'm curious what would you like to see in KDE and Unity.

Beans
    Hidden!

Personal thoughts (in brief)

A desktop: has to be clean and simple for new users, a terminal and menu system has no meaning to the younger generation (could place blame here , but will remain silent on this)

OK :switch it on , What do you see,

argh , Internet , You have Internet connections

click INTERNET , get connected . A terminal has no meaning to newbies

click office apps , do whatever ,type , save , send , email, browse photos ,
    chat or text on-line etc etc .

gnome or kde is not the way to go. At the end of the day how many family members do you have which only do the above,
    and also not Interested in looking at your latest code to get the system tweaked , or if your version of microsoft word is better). ask your self an honest question .

As for myself (been of the Nerd Nature ) , nothing stopping to produce Apps to do what ever is appropriate , a window is exactly what it is , A Window. That's the Solve. ( Don,t ask to elaborate on this).

alexfish

PS , only one question , Where is the help in Unity , (using the live usb stick with 11.10)

Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

The only problem I ever had with KDE was that it (or it's applications) crashed fairly often. I didn't mind the memory usage, as my computer handled it rather well....

Unity I'm still not sure about, but I can see why people do and don't like it. I'm pretty neutral on that one, as I'm still new to using it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jaimeaux View Post
    The only problem I ever had with KDE was that it (or it's applications) crashed fairly often. I didn't mind the memory usage, as my computer handled it rather well....

Unity I'm still not sure about, but I can see why people do and don't like it. I'm pretty neutral on that one, as I'm still new to using it.
    4.9 seems really stable here, maybe its time to try it again?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Old thread closed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123