Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Ubuntu replaced OSX as your Macs main OS??

Beans

Has Ubuntu replaced OSX as your Macs main OS??

When I first started using Ubuntu in 2005, I really liked it, but there were lots of issues with hardware drivers in PowerPC macs at the time that made it difficult for it to replace OSX as my primary OS.

Things have really moved on in the 7ish years since then and Im going to see if it possible for me to primarily use Ubuntu over OSX now.

Has anybody here succesfully replaced OSX with Unbuntu on their Mac here? Perhaps to the point where theyve happily erased every trace of Mac OS X from their system?
    Last edited by galvatron1983; December 2nd, 2011 at 02:02 PM.
    Registered Linux user number 448030
    Ubuntu User number 13932
    11.6" MacBook Air / 1.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 64GB SSD / 4GB RAM / Mac OSX Lion / Kubuntu Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Has Ubuntu replaced OSX as your Macs main OS??

I spend 99.9% of my time on my MacbookPro in Linux. I use it at work and at home. I've been using Ubuntu as my primary OS for years now and I'm really happy with it. (maybe a little grumpy still per:unity, but progress has a cost)

I'm a developer and I haven't removed OSX and probably won't simply for the fact that I *can* still do iPhone development if needed at work.

Beans

I can't quite make the final move to Linux because I use Pro Tools in my career, but as a Linux user since the late 90s, I can't believe how far the OS has come with 11.10. It's the first time Linux has run perfectly right out of the box on a MacBook Pro.

I got into Linux when it looked as if Apple was going to shut down. Now I'm staying current with Linux for the day when that walled garden around Mac OS X gets a little too high.

I could easily use Linux as my everyday OS. And while I miss Gnome 2, I think eventually Unity and Gnome 3 will once again provide the customizations I've learned to love in Linux.

Coyle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use Ubuntu 11.10 on my iMac (11,2), dual booting with OSX 10.7.2.

Ubuntu works very well except for one main thing. It uses about 15w more than OSX when running. I can live with this if I can sleep the system when it's not in use. BUT, Ubuntu has a problem with resuming from sleep on this system.
    Resume from sleep results in the system trying to output to the external display adapter, instead of the main screen. If you don't plug in a second display (I don't want to have an extra screen) then you cannot resume at all, and have to restart.

This is a kernel bug that I have flagged up to launchpad (#863969) but it is in the queue and won't be progressed for a while, due to a hack-in at kernel.org.

It's a stopper for me, having to restart instead of resume from sleep. Otherwise I would switch to Linux entirely.
    Windows is cheap, but linux is free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thumbs down Re: Has Ubuntu replaced OSX as your Macs main OS??

not strictly... the macbook was stolen. But Ubuntu fills in nicely
    Ubuntu Manual - Good Tutorials
    Webupd8 - Cinnamon! - Synapse
    Some just want to watch the world LEARN

Beans

I have not transitioned over fully. I running ubuntu in a virtual box VM. I am just doing my research before converting because I don't plan on going back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

My old eMac technically has Leopard installed, but I use it almost exclusivly as a hobby system - It runs a minimal Ubuntu with Openbox - I only use it for writing, code learning and playing with Minix 3. As I do everything else on other computers, I guess in a weird way, my emac mainly runs Minix!

Just to balance it out the old G4 Power Mac that won't die is the backbone of our home network. It runs tiger and has been running 24/7 apart from moving and almost annual maintanence since Snow Leopard forced the introduction of intel based macs... so it's pretty much making up for all the versions of OSX I've side-lined single handed!

Beans

Do you even need to ask? After I put in the 2TB drive I fondly love into my iMac ($69 at Micro Center!!!), I have had room for 500GB's of Ubuntu, using the Mac OS only for multimedia projects that require Final Cut. I love the clean Unity interface that sits atop linux. If I don't like the UI, I can simply switch Desktop Environments/WMs/whatever. I love the simplicity, the abundant free, open source packages availible, and, most of all, I love the flexibility it gives over commercial shiterating systems, er, operating systems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I can't even install Ubuntu on my Mac.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I'm about to ditch OS X completely.

Used to be on a PPC too, proved unworkable to use as a main machine (but it was fun!)

Now on a x86 I guess things have changed. About to find out.

I just (yesterday evening) reformatted my drive. No way back. Committed.

Disclaimer: I'm running KDE, main reason of that is to convince my wife to follow suit in switching to Linux. She uses a 1.1 MacBook, OSX 10.4, can't run the last versions of browsers, that's becoming a bit of an annoyance, (read: security issue) The machine is still good, the software isn't....

I said: 'I think I know to get your machine running the latest stuff again...'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast