Thread: Scripting help... Need to copy every 5th time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Scripting help... Need to copy every 5th time

So I'm using the command line utility "webcam" to save frames from a camera to a folder in /var/www for remote viewing, but I also want to save frames. The files range from 2k to 20k. One frame per second is saved. I have the following script running the camera.
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    webcam /etc/cam/webcamrc & # saves 1 frame per second
    while :
    do
    	convert /var/www/[redacted]/outdoor.jpg -resize 50% /var/www/[redacted]/outdoor_sm.jpg #smaller, 320x240 copy
    	if [ ! -d "/home/[redacted]/security/$(date +%Y)/$(date +%m)/$(date +%d)/$(date +%H)" ]
    	then
    	       mkdir -p /home/[redacted]/security/$(date +%Y)/$(date +%m)/$(date +%d)/$(date +%H) #copy it to a folder year/month/day/hour if that exists, otherwise make it
    	fi
    	cp /var/www/[redacted]/outdoor_sm.jpg /home/[redacted]/security/$(date +%Y)/$(date +%m)/$(date +%d)/$(date +%H)/outdoor-$(date +%Y.%m.%d.%H.%M.%S).jpg #and make sure it's named year.month.day.hour.minute.second.jpg
    	sleep 0.75 #this takes 250ms on this system so sleep for the rest of the second
    done
    Now this is all great but MAN do these files stack up. A day directory ranges from 500 to 1000MB. So, I want to modify my script to save every nth frame taken. Preferably 5th. For security reasons. Maybe one every 20 seconds. Who knows. How would I go about doing that? I was thinking a for loop somehow but I just can't seem to make it work.

Beans

Re: Scripting help... Need to copy every 5th time

Would something like this work?:
    Code:
    count=0
    while true
    do
      stuff to do every time
      let count++
      if [[ $count -eq 5 ]]
      then
        stuff to do every fifth time
        count=0
      fi
    done

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Awesome, dude! Perfect idea. It works!

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    webcam /etc/cam/webcamrc &
    counter=0;
    while :
    do
    	convert /var/www/[redacted]/outdoor.jpg -resize 50% /var/www/[redacted]/outdoor_sm.jpg
    	let "counter += 1";
    	if [[ $counter -eq 5 ]]
    	then 
    		if [ ! -d "/home/[redacted]/security/$(date +%Y)/$(date +%m)/$(date +%d)/$(date +%H)" ]
    		then
    		       mkdir -p /home/[redacted]/security/$(date +%Y)/$(date +%m)/$(date +%d)/$(date +%H) 
    		fi
    		cp /var/www/[redacted]/outdoor_sm.jpg /home/[redacted]/security/$(date +%Y)/$(date +%m)/$(date +%d)/$(date +%H)/outdoor-$(date +%Y.%m.%d.%H.%M.%S).jpg 
    		counter=0;
    	fi
    	sleep 0.75 
    done
    Done and done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you fancy experimenting you could achieve something very similar using some standard tools.

Incrond which you can use to monitor a directory so that when a new file is created it triggers a bash script which then resizes etc..

To handle all of the files you could use logrotate which is generally used for log files but it can hanndle files of any type. If that doesn't fit your needs enough then just create a regular cron hourly/daily job to archive your files.

You can then just leave it be and not worry if your script is running or not.
    Mark your thread as [SOLVED], use Thread Tools on forum page.