Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How to make Kubuntu (KDE) blazing fast and optimise it for performance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: How to make Kubuntu (KDE) blazing fast and optimise it for performance

Thank you , very informative and still work for my 12.04.

Beans

This is great!

Beans

It doesn't end well for me, I'm sorry to report. I just updated the system by adding new sources via Muon Package Manager following the tutorial ("ppa:kubuntu-ppa/ppa" and "ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports") and found that, besides a few new applications, I have lost the Muon Package Manager and Muon Software Center, even though I don't really care much for the latter. I found this to be rather disturbing because I seem to understand that no application should be removed in the process. Now I also found that the effect of my original window switching isn't the same anymore.

My main concern is getting back the Muon Package Manager. Can somebody help? My system is Kubuntu 12.04 LTS running on a dual boot MacBook 3,1 (OS X 10.5.8). How can I remove all new packages that were just installed and get back to the previous state? Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I fairly recently installed Kubuntu 12.4 and at first found it rather slow and heavy on resources. I followed the instructions and everything speeded up. However I thought I would retry with Neopmuk working, so I could use the backup facility. Big mistake. Kubuntu started to use a lot of my resources again, so goodbye Neopmuk, and return of a much more responsive machine.

Beans

Thank you for this. This is what I do on my Kubuntu installs:

* disable ALL startup services in KDE (everything works anyways, I think they are started on demand, but login is faster)
    * removed KDEPIM, and configured Akonadi to use no resources beyond the default
    * disabled Nepomuk

Another interesting idea (that I use on a netbook):

* install a command line Ubuntu server, or just netinstall
    * add a minimal kde
    http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...-off-of-Karmic

DeMus is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Mendieta:

* disable ALL startup services in KDE (everything works anyways, I think they are started on demand, but login is faster)

Is it really safe to disable all the startup services? I have been looking at them a couple of times and I am not sure if I can disable one or not. You say: disable them all.
    It's not that some things don't work anymore? The moment I should need a service it will be started?
    When you do disable all of them do you notice a general increase in speed, or is it only at log-in?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by DeMus View Post
    Mendieta:

Is it really safe to disable all the startup services? I have been looking at them a couple of times and I am not sure if I can disable one or not. You say: disable them all.
    It's not that some things don't work anymore? The moment I should need a service it will be started?
    When you do disable all of them do you notice a general increase in speed, or is it only at log-in?
    It depends on your needs, I wouldn't recommend disabling everything especially on laptops where bluetooth and notification stuff etc is needed.

Assuming you have a lot of RAM it would only increase startup time and not significantly imporve overall performance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    Misc

If KDE is still running slow there are two things you can do.

1) Install the kubuntu-low-fat-settings package

This package is intended for slow computers and allowed me (with some more tweaks) to run Kubuntu on a 600 Mhz Pentium 3 with 768 Mb RAM. More details can be found here.

Link above appears broken, update appreciated.

Beans

nice thread, and I would say kde has improved dramatically since last year even.
    Although it is not kde related, for nvidia users, switching the GPU setting inside "PowerMizer" > Preferred Mode, from "Adaptive" to "Prefer Maximum Performance" has dropped the temperature of my laptop's cpu from 40c to 34c (idle). Actually pc gamers know this setting well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

great post. makes me feel confident to put the 64 bit on 1 GB ram maschine. CPU shoudl be ok, GPu should be sort of ok. we'lll see hwo it goes. at the moment i have it on a 1,2 GB maschine but this one has better GPU
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast