Thread: Another FTP setup question

Hybrid View

Beans

Another FTP setup question

Hi,

I have an Ubuntu server (11.04) running and would like to give the end user FTP access to there website which is located in:

/var/www/website1

the problem is I have many other sites but the user can only have read/write permissions to there folder ie website1.

Any ideas?

Thanks (sorry new to Linux )

Beans

Re: Another FTP setup question

I would like to learn how to do this via vsftpd. Ive tried successfully using a GUI (gadmin-proftpd) but that got magically removed from the server by somebody/something.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

sftp

Out of curiosity what got you steered towards FTP? I get the feeling that there is some outdated documentation out there that needs fixing. I'd like to track it down and get it fixed.

If you can connect to the machine with SSH then you already have SFTP available and configured. You can connect to it via Nautilus, Dolphin and FileZilla. Unlike FTP, which is insecure and cannot be secured, SFTP is designed from the ground up to provide a secure connection.

Here is some background reading on the issue, if that helps:

Beans

Re: sftp

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    Out of curiosity what got you steered towards FTP? I get the feeling that there is some outdated documentation out there that needs fixing. I'd like to track it down and get it fixed.

If you can connect to the machine with SSH then you already have SFTP available and configured. You can connect to it via Nautilus, Dolphin and FileZilla. Unlike FTP, which is insecure and cannot be secured, SFTP is designed from the ground up to provide a secure connection.

Here is some background reading on the issue, if that helps:

I searched Google, "FTP using Ubuntu". This wasnt really that helpful: https://help.ubuntu.com/10.10/server...tp-server.html

Thanks, hopefully its an easy read!

The end user just wants to upload there new website to the folder. Therefore i need to give FTP access to the folder. I dont think the end user knows how to use SSH or anything like that. So it needs to be simple.
    Last edited by PD24; January 6th, 2012 at 04:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

SFTP is part of OpenSSH-Server

Quote Originally Posted by PD24 View Post
    Therefore i need to give FTP access to the folder. I dont think the end user knows how to use SSH or anything like that. So it needs to be simple.
    Then you can use SFTP it is related to SSH only in that it is part of SSH. You can connect to an SFTP server using regular clients like Nautilus, Dolphin and FileZilla. Even some regular editors, like Kate, can accept an SFTP address. The SFTP option is *secure*, the FTP option is neither secure nor securable. FTP is complicated to set up. SFTP works out of the box already if you have an SSH server running, it's part of the server.

It's hard to get simpler than SFTP.

Beans

Re: SFTP is part of OpenSSH-Server

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    Then you can use SFTP it is related to SSH only in that it is part of SSH. You can connect to an SFTP server using regular clients like Nautilus, Dolphin and FileZilla. Even some regular editors, like Kate, can accept an SFTP address. The SFTP option is *secure*, the FTP option is neither secure nor securable. FTP is complicated to set up. SFTP works out of the box already if you have an SSH server running, it's part of the server.

It's hard to get simpler than SFTP.
    Yes.. thank you. but i cannot find instructions or a guide to set this up..

if i want to give SFTP access to a specific folder with upload and dowload rights also with a specific username and password how do i?

In Windows i just install FileZilla Server and then set up the permissions to the folder and set up the access for the users.

I need to learn how to do this on Linux without the GUI.