Thread: tk and tcl advice.

Beans

tk and tcl advice.

hi folks,
    i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about tcl. eg. is it popular? who uses it? what would be an easy way to pick up some? that kind of thing.

i've heard that tcl and tk are somehow Linux related, is that true? is it native to Ubuntu? what kind of language is tcl like?

thanks for any suggestions and help.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: tk and tcl advice.

Quote Originally Posted by F.G. View Post
    who uses it?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tcl#Sof...written_in_Tcl

I don't use any of those personally, the only Tcl thing I have used are Xchat plugins (only used, not written).

what would be an easy way to pick up some?
    I see the author of the language has written a book about it, so that should probably be a good place to start.

is it native to Ubuntu?
    Define "native".

Beans

Bachstelze, thanks for your reply. i am aware that there are books and lots other info on the subject but i guess i was looking for something from some folks who actually use tcl and tk, and what their advice might be.

by native what i meant was out of the box, like the gcc,c++ compilers, or python, also apparently Ruby. i've got a crunchbang machine i'm using right now and it doesn't seem to support it 'as is' (without installing an interpreter), so if i come across and Ubuntu box? will it?

anyhow, any advice welcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by F.G. View Post
    by native what i meant was out of the box, like the gcc,c++ compilers
    gcc/g++ are not installed out of the box. Tcl probably isn't either.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    gcc/g++ are not installed out of the box. Tcl probably isn't either.
    curious, i don't think i've ever install gcc or g++ on Ubuntu, i always thought it was already there, out of the box.

Beans

ok, so, i got my hands on a laptop with Ubuntu just now, and to answer my previous question it does have the tcl interpreter 'tclsh' installed by default (assuming no-one else installed it on that machine, which is highly unlikely).

so, hopefully (if I learn tcl) on most normal Ubuntu installations (much like with python or ruby) i should be good to go.