Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Cups-PDF

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Cups-PDF

Quote Originally Posted by nhomar View Post
    A can't install a follow this steps but in the 8th step "Set User Id" isn't, I tried change the permissions to my user and when a go to the 9th step there is no mention of a CUPS PDF printer again.
    After i changed the permissions i restart "sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart" can you help me please.
    The directions in this thread are very outdated. Dapper (6.06) is the last version they apply to. The permissions that the deb sets are fine; no need to mess with them. On Gutsy, /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf should be owned by root:root with permissions 0700. In other words,
    Code:
    cd /usr/lib/cups/backend
    sudo chown root:root cups-pdf
    sudo chmod 700 cups-pdf
    (This is only to undo the changes you made; if you hadn't messed with it, there would be no need to make changes.)

Then, simply add the printer as described in the post.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by labinnsw View Post
    I read and followed the instructions from various posts and nothing changed until last night. I found a post at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ys/+bug/152537 about an unrelated matter. I tried one of the solutions offered there "sudo aa-complain cupsd" and the problem was immediately fixed.

It may or may not work for you. If it does work I would like to know.
    Thanks for posting this -- it also allowed my cups-pdf to finally place documents in ~/PDF whereas before they remained 'held' and never generated a file.
    Kubuntu 7.10 running on Dell Inspiron 1420n

Beans

Hello!

I read all the posts in this thread hoping someone else had the same problem and had solved it, but it seems I'm the only one who has this problem.

I've just upgraded my dist to Hardy, and I've installed the cups-pdf package.

Following the tutorial, I try to add a new printer, but:

1- I choose the Generic printer and then I have to choose the model, but I have no model called postscript or something like that, I just have the "PDF file generator" (Generic PDF file generator [en] (recommended). I suppose this is not a problem at all, and I can solve this by adding the new printer via the CUPS web (http://localhost:631). Does anyone know if the PDF file generator is OK, or should I choose the postscript one?

2 - I haven't been able to solve this problem though I've tried many things said in this thread. When I get to the last step of adding the printer, I get an error saying "Not permitted: Maybe the password is wrong". The same happens via the CUPS web: "401 Unauthorized: Enter your username and password or the root username and password to access this page. If you are using Kerberos authentication, make sure you have a valid Kerberos ticket."

Can anyone help me, please?

Thank's!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by judits View Post
    Hello!

I read all the posts in this thread hoping someone else had the same problem and had solved it, but it seems I'm the only one who has this problem.

I've just upgraded my dist to Hardy, and I've installed the cups-pdf package.

Following the tutorial, I try to add a new printer, but:

1- I choose the Generic printer and then I have to choose the model, but I have no model called postscript or something like that, I just have the "PDF file generator" (Generic PDF file generator [en] (recommended). I suppose this is not a problem at all, and I can solve this by adding the new printer via the CUPS web (http://localhost:631). Does anyone know if the PDF file generator is OK, or should I choose the postscript one?

2 - I haven't been able to solve this problem though I've tried many things said in this thread. When I get to the last step of adding the printer, I get an error saying "Not permitted: Maybe the password is wrong". The same happens via the CUPS web: "401 Unauthorized: Enter your username and password or the root username and password to access this page. If you are using Kerberos authentication, make sure you have a valid Kerberos ticket."

Can anyone help me, please?

Thank's!
    Well, I'm running the Hardy Live CD right now and the PDF Printer is installed by default. If you don't already have it, then I'm sure the PDF file generator is what you want. Ubuntu configures the CUPS web interface strangely. You'll have to mess around with creating CUPS passwords if you want to use that interface, I think.

Beans

I can confirm that "sudo aa-complain cupsd" works for me, too. Thanks, folks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by simplyw00x View Post
    seuaniu:
    Look at any desktop OS. Is installing a PDF printer 'grandma intuitive'? No.
    YES it is

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This doesn't work on Intrepid, I see they removed it from the default installation.
    When you install cups-pdf, and try to print it throws of errors like
    [ERROR] failed to create directory (/home/user/PDF)

When you manually create the folder it still throws of these errors.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ps/+bug/270046

Running
    sudo aa-logprof
    or
    sudo aa-complain cups
    seems to have fixed the problem, but still a mess.

Printing to PDF used to be one of the noticeable advantages for a desktop Ubuntu user over Windows.
    Last edited by pt123; January 17th, 2009 at 09:43 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pt123 View Post
    This doesn't work on Intrepid, I see they removed it from the default installation.
    When you install cups-pdf, and try to print it throws of errors like
    [ERROR] failed to create directory (/home/user/PDF)

When you manually create the folder it still throws of these errors.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ps/+bug/270046

Running
    sudo aa-logprof
    or
    sudo aa-complain cups
    seems to have fixed the problem, but still a mess.

Printing to PDF used to be one of the noticeable advantages for a desktop Ubuntu user over Windows.
    This doesn't work in Intrepid because it doesn't need to work in Intrepid. The ability to generate PDFs is now built in to the standard print dialog and is always available. Just select "Print to file".

(Notice that this HOWTO because obsolete with the release of Edgy in October 2006. Every successive release of Ubuntu further obsoletes this HOWTO. You're best off heeding the red warning at the top of the first post and ignoring this thread.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mssever View Post
    This doesn't work in Intrepid because it doesn't need to work in Intrepid. The ability to generate PDFs is now built in to the standard print dialog and is always available. Just select "Print to file".
    "Print to File" is so cumbersome that it is a joke.

You have to specify the filename it is not smart enough to use the Title of the webpage,. This print to file in Firefox uses "mozilla.pdf"
    While with cups-pdf it would print using the title of the webpage into a PDF folder without any fuss.
    With cups PDF you also had access to settings like DPI.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pt123 View Post
    "Print to File" is so cumbersome that it is a joke.

You have to specify the filename it is not smart enough to use the Title of the webpage,. This print to file in Firefox uses "mozilla.pdf"
    While with cups-pdf it would print using the title of the webpage into a PDF folder without any fuss.
    With cups PDF you also had access to settings like DPI.
    It's Gnome. What did you expect?

Seriously, the concept is good (you shouldn't have to install cups-pdf separately), but you're right that there are major usability issues. That should be reported as a bug, if it hasn't already been.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast