Thread: OS compatibility?

Beans

OS compatibility?

ive never used Linux before. ive just started to hate windows. but i have a question.

Can i run a program "in compatibility with" like in windows? like download a service pack, and use it? this kind of question boils down to, "what would i have to do to run a program developed for another OS?" im interested in running a MAC OS program also.

Beans

Re: OS compatibility?

You cannot run Windows binaries natively in any Linux operating system. You can, however, run Windows binaries in conjunction with an application called Wine. In essence, it simply emulates a Windows environment to run Windows binaries. Think about it like a sandbox in computer security; running applications on a host but in its own "container"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

As you might guess, Windows programs won't "just run" in Linux.

There are two approaches to use. One would be to use something called Wine, which provides a compatibility layer between the software and Linux. It often works, sometimes doesn't, but is very useful when it does.

The other approach would be to create a "virtual machine" within your linux computer. This virtual machine looks, for all purposes, like a Windows machine; and you can load any software you want into it.

Both are very easy to do, and which you choose depends mostly upon your needs and wants.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Here's a link for the Wine site:

http://www.winehq.org/

Beans

i have a tiny hard drive, how much memory would either of these things take up? and what about a mac program? would i need to make a separate emulator for both windows and mac?

Beans

As far as I'm concerned, you cannot emulate Mac OS programs on any platform really. You could create an OS X virtual machine, but that's an iffy one, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. And if you have an OS X virtual machine, it tends to be very slow and problematic unless of course you have a very powerful machine.

With a virtual machine, you can dedicate as much or as little space to the virtual hard disk as you want. You also have the ability to make it dedicated (being xGB when created), or expandable (which means it will only get as large as the virtual machine is getting)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

A virtual machine within Linux is the best way to go if you want to run Windows based programs. There are programs which do not run well in WINE ie: Adobe Lightroom.

Personally my choice to move away from windows was due to the increasing slowdown and memory hogging of the OS. Seems as thought I was reinstalling the OS to freshen it every few months. Anyway....

The recommendation would be to download a Ubuntu ISO and give it a try. If you have an older machine it would be best to look at the minimum requirements for installation before you decide.

GOOD LUCK
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate || My WIKI
    ---------------------------

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I was asking the same questions when I started using Ubuntu . Windows pro-grammes do not work in Ubuntu and vice versa .

Install wine to run windows apps

or there are alternatives for almost all windows software .