Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Install GUI application in Debian Squeeze.

Beans

Question How to Install GUI application in Debian Squeeze.

Hello,
    I have installed the Debian Squeeze to check out the textual based Linux. Well, I would like to ask you, whether is it possible to install the GUI based application in it and run them via terminal. I know the system will require some GUI application to create the interface but, yes can it be run hence?
    I want to install the Evince application. Also would like to opt for GCC compiler.
    Help me wherever i am wrong.
    Thank You.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: How to Install GUI application in Debian Squeeze.

I don't think so, as the GUI applications require X Windows System. If you need GUI applications, but still a really light system just install OpenBox window manager. It uses minimal memory, and will allow you to run GUI applications. And you can still drop down to command line for most things.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans

When you install evince, apt will install all "dependencies" including the X windows system. You will probably also want to install a desktop environment (Gnome, KDE, Xfce, etc) or windows manager (openbox, fluxbox, etc).

It is also possible to view a PDF from the console, without X, though you will not see any images, graphics, or formatting:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/new...mand-line.html
    http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/open-a-...-linuxfreebsd/

GCC obviously does not require X. My recommendation is to install the 'build-essential' package as that will give you GCC and more.

Beans

Hey guys, thank you.
    I installed the Debain and facing few problem. I am not able to use the normal 'apt-get install' commands. Nor the 'sudo' works. Can you give me a command line idea on how i can install envice package in debian. Also, can you please refer me to the debian shell scripts? I am having a feeling that debian has command line more limited.
    So, not able to work on it.
    Thank You.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by i D View Post
    Hey guys, thank you.
    I installed the Debain and facing few problem. I am not able to use the normal 'apt-get install' commands. Nor the 'sudo' works. Can you give me a command line idea on how i can install envice package in debian. Also, can you please refer me to the debian shell scripts? I am having a feeling that debian has command line more limited.
    So, not able to work on it.
    Thank You.
    Did you create a root password during installation? If so you can become root with "su" and the root password:

Code:
    su
    apt-get update
    apt-get install evince
    If you want to use sudo then you need to configure it first:

http://wiki.debian.org/sudo

I highly recommend reading some basic Debian 101 documentation, as it sounds like you have many basic questions: http://www.debian.org/doc/

It will actually take less time in the long run to simply read the directions rather than to constantly ask questions and then wait for a response from me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Lightbulb Re: How to Install GUI application in Debian Squeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by i D View Post
    Hello,
    I have installed the Debian Squeeze to check out the textual based Linux. Well, I would like to ask you, whether is it possible to install the GUI based application in it and run them via terminal. I know the system will require some GUI application to create the interface but, yes can it be run hence?
    I want to install the Evince application. Also would like to opt for GCC compiler.
    Help me wherever i am wrong.
    Thank You.
    May I humbly suggest Undo-Redo...

Fresh install of Debian 6

I run Debian 6 on an 8+ old notebook. The default desktop is Gnome 2, the distro is very resource friendly. And from the install you can choose to disable root and use SUDO (if you like).

I believe this would satisfy your GUI need, and you could easily hop into multiple terminal windows, as again, Debian 6 is resource friendly.

Suggestion based on my use: Dell Inspiron 1100 with Celeron 4 @ 2.0GHz with 1 gig of ram. Workload is graphic design, desktop publishing, web publishing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
    May I humbly suggest Undo-Redo...

Fresh install of Debian 6

I run Debian 6 on an 8+ old notebook. The default desktop is Gnome 2, the distro is very resource friendly. And from the install you can choose to disable root and use SUDO (if you like).

I believe this would satisfy your GUI need, and you could easily hop into multiple terminal windows, as again, Debian 6 is resource friendly.

Suggestion based on my use: Dell Inspiron 1100 with Celeron 4 @ 2.0GHz with 1 gig of ram. Workload is graphic design, desktop publishing, web publishing.
    Why reinstall the whole OS when you just need to install xorg and gnome???

Or just run tasksel as root and select "graphical desktop"??

Beans

@Snowpine
    Yes, I definitely created a root password. I will go through the documentation.
    Let me try the commands you suggested. Thank You.
    Guys,
    My necessity is not to get a GUI. I already know that i can use Desktop Enviroment, KDE, Gnome, LXDE, whatever...
    Rather my requirement is to use the text mode interface and run GUI enabled applications. I think this will consume less system resources but i think what I wish to do is like 'Growing trees without seedlings'.
    Let me try once again with the terminal whether the commands run or not. Will get back to you hence.

Beans

Hey I think I will go for redownload. Can you tell me which rom should I download?
    Should i opt for netinst Cd ?

Beans

Hello mates,
    Finally I got the error which i required and further will look improvement into my problem.
    Here's what I want to know further:

Where is the Documentation file Located in the System?
    Also, is there any specific file in which the system documentation is located?
    Thank You.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast