Thread: Need help with Orca

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Need help with Orca

I reinstalled / update and switched OS from ubuntu 11.04 --> kubuntu and then again to xubuntu hoping for a system I like. Although now I have seemingly found a system I can appreciate, with either Kubuntu, or Xubuntu, (either) I can't make orca work! I don't know what to do, though I need the screen reader function.

In K... when starting the program through the gui menu, it shows an attempt to start, then it simply dies, shutting itself off. In x... using the gui menu, it does nothing visible. when trying to access it through a terminal, it will go through the setup program, once, then fails. When attempting again it gives this error.
    p:~$ orca
    /usr/bin/orca: 153: gsettings: not found

** (orca:4802): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files

** ERROR **: AT-SPI: COuldn't connect to accessibility bus. Is at-spi-bus-launcher running?
    Trace/breakpoint trap
    in the terminal window. I am stuck, though as I say I require having a screen reader in order to function with documents of any size.

Thanks,
    AMD 64 bit, 2 Gb ram, Ubuntu-Studio 12.04 32-bit
    Playing my music my way.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Need help with Orca

bump
    Playing my music my way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hello, de Bacon.

Unfortunately, I do not believe that Orca works completely with KDE or XFCE (the desktop environments for Kubuntu and Xubuntu, respectively) at this time. However, this will very likely change in the near future as there have been a lot of accessibility-related developments in KDE and in XFCE.

With no disrespect to this forum, you may be able to find more help on the Orca mailing list (see the end of this post).

I am sorry that I did not answer your post sooner; I do not come to the forums too much nowadays.

Take care.

[LINK] Orca Mailing List: http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/orca-list
    Proud visually impaired user of Ubuntu.
    Member of the Ubuntu Accessibility Team
    Registered Linux User #423082

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RKCole View Post
    Hello, de Bacon.

Unfortunately, I do not believe that Orca works completely with KDE or XFCE (the desktop environments for Kubuntu and Xubuntu, respectively) at this time. However, this will very likely change in the near future as there have been a lot of accessibility-related developments in KDE and in XFCE.

With no disrespect to this forum, you may be able to find more help on the Orca mailing list (see the end of this post).

I am sorry that I did not answer your post sooner; I do not come to the forums too much nowadays.

Take care.

[LINK] Orca Mailing List: http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/orca-list
    I had success in uses of orca with kubuntu 11.04. It worked just fine, no mo tho, excuse me, no more though. I may find the time to look at the link you put in here, though with its title, it sounds like a mail-list which I might not want to enter.

Thanks for noticing and for the response.
    cheers~
    Playing my music my way.

Beans
    Distro

Had to give up on Kubuntu because of this issue
    Playing my music my way.