Thread: Dell optilex 740 damaged pins on athlon processor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Dell optilex 740 damaged pins on athlon processor.

I hope this is the appropriate place to post this.

I have an Optiplex 740 desk top. It is not a full width model, but I don't think it is a slim line either.

I opened it up to clean (air & brush) and clean the fans. In order to get at the case fan on the front, I had to remove the cover over the cpu/heatsink. I didn't realize the heatsink was attached to the cover. When I raised the cover it lifted the cpu out as well.

After cleaning I tried to reseat the cpu, leaving it on the heatsink-still attached to the cover and I appear to have bent a few pins

I may have to replace the cpu, any idea on how to reseat the cpu? Should I remove it from the heatsink and place it in first? If I do this I imagine I need to clean both and apply new paste?

I do have power to the mother board with the cpu removed, the fans etc run, but when I replace the cpu it tries to start but the fans and lights only stay on briefly and then it stops.

There is no way to access the locking lever with the heat sink and cover in place. I don't believe it is used but I don't know for sure.

Any help would be appreciated,

Alzie
    For a custom Google Search Engine providing results from Ubuntu related sites click Here

When your problem is resolved, please mark it SOLVED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Dell optilex 740 damaged pins on athlon processor.

Use an empty mechanical pencil to cover the bent pin (with the hole in the narrow end of the mechanical pencil) and gently bend it into place. Do this with all bent pins. Be careful, because if you break even one pin, the CPU will be useless and will need to be replaced. Make sure to remove the CPU from the Heat sink when you do this, and when you are finished, remove the existing thermal paste with a thermal paste remover, and apply a thin layer of new thermal paste (arctic silver 5 is a good one). When you are done with that, place the CPU in the socket, lock it in place, and mount the heat sink back on top.
    Say no to Microsoft. Say yes to open source.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for your quick reply.

I managed to remove the cpu from the heat sink. The pins appear to be straightened.

I replaced the cpu and thermal paste, cheaper brand, small town few options and the heat sink.

The computer starts but no post and no signal to the monitor. It's looking like new cpu or new computer I wager?
    For a custom Google Search Engine providing results from Ubuntu related sites click Here

Beans

I would double check the pins again as one may have bent out/in well re-setting. (seen that a few times)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Are there multi-able ways of setting the Intel processor? 180-360 I don't recall exactly but only 1 way works. ???
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate || My WIKI
    ---------------------------

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well. it's over.
    I don't know if the chip was damaged before or if it was the socket (?) but I managed to break a pin.
    I'd like to meet the engineer who thought it was a good idea to attach the heat sink to the cover and then have that cover overlap a fan, making it impossible to replace the fan without pulling the cpu out.
    Oh well.. no more Dell

Thanks kindly for your assistance.