Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Sound while playing any media.

Beans

No Sound while playing any media.

Hello, I am running Lubuntu on a HP pc with intel processor.

Upto half an hour ago, my speakers were running properly. But now they don't seem to work. I replaced speakers by headphones, and those are also not giving any output.

I wish to know how to check if sound card is not working.

I did an lspci and aplay -l and the sound card was listed in the output,is it possible that the sound card is damaged, even if it is detected?

I am not at all sure whether problem is at software level or at soundcard level.

Please help.
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; November 28th, 2011 at 07:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: No Sound while playing any media.

So, half an hour ago (plus or minus) your speakers were working and then suddenly they stopped working. Can you get sound out of any program?

Beans

No , I am unable to get sound out of any program.

As you know (from another post where you helped me), I installed a new program system monitor, before I installed it they were working , after I installed it they have stopped working.

It may be a complete co-incidence, but I want to make sure whether this is not a software issue.

Since it happened in the recent past I think it may be because of a software/driver issue. I may be completely wrong and I may have to replace my sound card, but when I tried out aplay -l I got following output :-

Code:
    aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC880 Analog [ALC880 Analog]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC880 Digital [ALC880 Digital]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    Also I read some of the following thread,

Quote Originally Posted by LordRaiden View Post
    A very common cause for a user to not have sound is not having his/her username in the /etc/group.

Thanks to rustybutt for this simple check.

Code:
    grep 'audio' /etc/group
    You should see a line similar to
    Code:
    audio:x:29:
    followed by a username i.e. if the username is "ubuntu" then you should see
    Code:
    audio:x:29:ubuntu
    . If you see something else i.e.
    Code:
    audio:x:29:root
    you should add your username to the file by doing
    Code:
     sudo nano /etc/group
    . Now find the line that looks like
    Code:
    audio:x:29:root
    and change it to
    Code:
    audio:x:29:root:moocow
    only replacing moocow with your real username.

Hit CTRL + 0 to save, then CTRL + X to exit. That's the end of that

[/SIZE]
    In my group file audio: x:29 was followed by 'pulse', I changed it to my username, but didn't get any positive results. I checked the first few steps of that guide but what they suggest is working fine on my system, i.e aplay -l is able to detect soundcard, Alsamixer shows all the volumes as unmuted.
    Last edited by ask_; November 28th, 2011 at 06:07 AM.

Beans

update:

A funny thing is happening.

I checked the alsamixer settings. They were ok. Then I checked vlc media player settings, in it I changed the default output module to ALSA output module. Then I inserted a pair of headphones , lo and behold, I got sound in my headphones.

But, whenever I play youtube videos ,I am not getting any output.

This means at least soundcard is working. But why aren't youtube videos being played?
    Last edited by ask_; November 28th, 2011 at 07:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Have you installed Ubuntu restricted extras?

Beans

whoop whoop finally i find a tread with the exact same problem i just rebooted my laptop and boom the sound was not working, it works with skype because i changed the audio device but like you ask_ i dont get any audio from youtube or any other application that does not have audio setting.
    lspci and aplay -l shows my audio device just like yours.

im farly new to linux and dont have a clue what to do next! hope we get some answares

whats with the ubuntu restricted extras ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Bouwense View Post
    Have you installed Ubuntu restricted extras?
    Thanks for replying. Your help on some of my other threads was very useful.

One thing , I would like to point out, as I mentioned in first post,the sound was working fine till morning. All kinds of sound were well supported till then, be it flash/youtube or vlc media.

Then as I mentioned, sound went off , then I did that ALSA thing on vlc, and it is working well.

Do I still have to install Ubuntu restriced extras ? I mean is there a way to see if it is already installed ? For I was able to hear youtube earlier.

I have a hunch something is simply wrong with the flash settings,I maybe wrong here.I am not averse to trying out Ubuntu restricted extras, and will do so,it's just that I am afraid I may mess up with some codecs while installing.
    Last edited by ask_; November 28th, 2011 at 06:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I have always had to install restricted extras for video and audio on U-Tube. It has always worked for me after I installed. Where are you located? The codecs are restricted in some countries.

There is a thread that you might be interested in reading since you are using Lubuntu:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755
    Last edited by Rex Bouwense; November 28th, 2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Bouwense View Post
    I have always had to install restricted extras for video and audio on U-Tube. It has always worked for me after I installed. Where are you located? The codecs are restricted in some countries.
    I am located in India.

But I was able to play all videos and sound successfully, till yesterday, so restriction must not be an issue in my country.

Beans

I tried to study a lot of stuff on ALSA and Pulse Audio, but the configuration settings , I wasn't able to understand, as there were many webpages dedicated to it. I simply didn't know what my problem required.

Then I came across the solution proposed in the following quote:-

Quote Originally Posted by Lisiano View Post
    I have a feeling either pulseaudio or chromium is remembering that you tried using HDMI audio and is staying on it. I would suggest downloading pavucontrol by either just clicking the name or typing this in a terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
    After it installed, just run it using either Alt+F2 or a terminal and just type
    Code:
    pavucontrol
    Now open up chromium and find wherever you can't hear sound and tell chromium using pavucontrol to use your speakers or whatever you use.

I did exactly as I was told to do there, and now flash is playing sound effortlessly.

I guess, since I am a beginner, what I needed was a simple GUI based tool, and that is what the solution in the quote provided.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast