Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about GNOME version in Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A question about GNOME version in Ubuntu 12.04

Hi! I've read this article which said that Ubuntu 12.04 won't have full GNOME 3.4, only some 3.4 programs. Even though I like Unity, for now Gnome Shell is much easier and nicer to use for me, so I'd love to have a full GNOME desktop. Right now I'm using Fedora for that, but I'm thinking about switching back to Ubuntu, because unfortunately there is some stuff that isn't packaged for Fedora. So, does anyone know if it will be possible to have a full and stable GNOME 3.4 desktop on 12.04 if I use the Gnome 3 ppa?

edit: just to clarify, of course I mean the final version of Ubuntu 12.04 when it's released, not the current development version
    Last edited by Starlight; November 27th, 2011 at 09:39 PM.

^_^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: A question about GNOME version in Ubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Hi! I've read this article which said that Ubuntu 12.04 won't have full GNOME 3.4, only some 3.4 programs. Even though I like Unity, for now Gnome Shell is much easier and nicer to use for me, so I'd love to have a full GNOME desktop. Right now I'm using Fedora for that, but I'm thinking about switching back to Ubuntu, because unfortunately there is some stuff that isn't packaged for Fedora. So, does anyone know if it will be possible to have a full and stable GNOME 3.4 desktop on 12.04 if I use the Gnome 3 ppa?
    You may want to use both Ricotz Gnome-shell Testing PPA and Gnome 3 Team PPA to be on the edge of the development leading to Gnome 3.4.

However, bear in mind the warnings on those PPA's.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Harry33 View Post
    You may want to use both Ricotz Gnome-shell Testing PPA and Gnome 3 Team PPA to be on the edge of the development leading to Gnome 3.4.

However, bear in mind the warnings on those PPA's.
    Thanks for the answer! But I didn't mean using any development versions, what I meant is the final, stable version of Gnome 3.4 on the final, stable version of Ubuntu 12.04 when it's released.

^_^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Thanks for the answer! But I didn't mean using any development versions, what I meant is the final, stable version of Gnome 3.4 on the final, stable version of Ubuntu 12.04 when it's released.
    The PPA's I mentioned are up now. Only the owner of those PPA's knows for how long.
    I don't.

However, we know that Ubuntu PP 12.04 LTS will (when released on 26th April 2012) not have the whole Gnome 3.4. Also, we know that the default shell will be Unity, not Gnome-shell.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

and we also know that gnome-shell is just a simple sudo apt-get install gnome-shell away

Beans
    Distro

Hi Starlight. To answer your question (which I believe is weather or not you can use the FULL Gnome 3.4 and not parts of Gnome 3.4 ,3.2(3.3?) and Gnome Shell) Yes you can. Just add the Gnome PPA that you have and I believe that all thats need to do is run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade (I believe that is correct)
    I believe Philinux would know the full correct answer (I'll PM him a link to this thread and ask if he wouldn't mind weighting in)

Dm
    I tell them how great Ubuntu is. I tell them its fast, virus free and it cost nothing to install or upgrade, and yet all they care about is "Can I play World of Warcraft on it?"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Precise will use GTK3.4, but most of the apps will still be based on Gnome 3.2, as Gnome 3.4 will be released only a month before Precise, so there won't be a lot of time to include the newer versioned apps.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Precise will use GTK3.4, but most of the apps will still be based on Gnome 3.2, as Gnome 3.4 will be released only a month before Precise, so there won't be a lot of time to include the newer versioned apps.
    So will we still have gtk-2.0 and gtk3.0 or will gtk-2.0 be gone for good?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    So will we still have gtk-2.0 and gtk3.0 or will gtk-2.0 be gone for good?
    Gnome Desktop Environment (Gnome) is not actually the same as Gimp Tool Kit (GTK).
    Almost all the applications outside Gnome 3 (Brasero etc..) only work on GTK+2 (like Firefox, Thunderbrid, LibreOffice ...).

This will be the situation for quite a long time. In the mean time, we need GTK+2.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Cariboo is spot on as usual.

At this stage it's a case of wait and see over the coming months. Whatever the outcome of what is in the archives at release time there is always the GNOME 3 Team PPA. And of course backports as time goes on.

Anyone can also ask the developers directly.
    http://design.canonical.com/2011/11/...touch-with-us/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast