Thread: MW3 and Ubuntu 11.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

MW3 and Ubuntu 11.10

Hello

I just bought a new computer and I got Modern Warfare 3 for free. I'm not intrested to install Windows alongside Ubuntu but I hope that MW3 would work (especially the multiplayer) in Ubuntu. Has anyone tested it yet (the multiplayer)?

Beans

Re: MW3 and Ubuntu 11.10

It seems like Modern Warfare 3 works just fine with the newest Wine Versions.

I for myself tested Black Ops once when it was free for a Weekend and it worked great so it's not surprising that MW3 also plays with Wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I got MW3 to work through the latest version of wine...but I had to do the following to make it work: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...25&postcount=2
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro

What about the multiplayer? There's no information about that, only singleplayer.

Beans
    Distro

I tried to install Steam, but it freezes when it's trying to create desktop icons.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I installed XP so no problem.

Beans

I have the problem that the system during installation with steam keeps asking for cd 2. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Beans

ok, so I seemed to have been able to install the entire game, but now I am stuck with the fact that I cannot install directx because I have an ATI Radeon grafix card. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Thanx in advance, Frank

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frankyboy1211 View Post
    I have the problem that the system during installation with steam keeps asking for cd 2. Does anyone know how to solve this?
    You can either unmount disc 1 and mount disc 2 in the same directory where disc 1 was mounted OR you can create a symlink from the disc 2 mount point to where the disc 1 mount point used to be. In my Kubuntu box, when Steam asked for disc 2, I swapped the discs, mounted disc 2, and ran:
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /media/MW3_DVD2 /media/MW3_DVD1