Thread: In Search of a video card to run 3 monitors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

In search of a video card to run 3 monitors

I'm curious to know what sort of video card I should purchase to power 3 (or possibly 4) 1920x1080 monitors. My first instinct was to purchase a new Nvidia card, as I have had zero troubles with Nvidia cards in a dual monitor setup for the last few years.

But with some quick research, I discovered that Nvidia's twinview does not work with more than two monitors. This is fine assuming that I can do one twinview and one standalone monitor. In my testing, I was unable to get a twinview + 1 setup (when hooking up the same monitor to the machine twice to get the 3rd screen): the two extra screens decided to turn off, and a few times nvidia-settings froze.

Other deciding factors in my graphics card purchase:

1) My new monitors are HDMI only, but I can get HDMI <-> DVI converter cables as needed.
    2) I am on Ubuntu 10.04, and am not upgrading until a few months after 12.04 is released.
    3) I'm not a gamer - but I do need to be able to power all three monitors without any latency. The most graphics application I will be running for now is Adobe Photoshop in VMWare Workstation (fullscreen on one screen). On the other screens I will be running my programming tools.
    4) SLI is a possibility if need be. I am using the MSI Big Bang XPower motherboard and already have the SLI bridge components.

My current system specifications:
    Intel Core i7 950 (3Ghz), 24GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia Geforce 210 1GB.
    Last edited by AndrewX192; November 26th, 2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Fixing a typo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: In Search of a video card to run 3 monitors

Status Update / Bump:

I ended up buying another Nvidia Geforce 210 graphics card, and I can get all three monitors working in Ubuntu 10.04, but without desktop compositing (compiz) in a triple "Separate X Screen" setup. I can also do a TwinView + "Seperate X Screen" setup, but when in this configuration gnome's panel doesn't work properly and windows span both monitors when maximized.

I've spent hours looking for solutions, but haven't found anything yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: In Search of a video card to run 3 monitors

Status Update:

I bought an AMD Radeon HD 6770 a few months ago, and was able to get triple monitors working without much trouble.