Thread: VirtualBox Error Message - Trying to Enable USB on Ubuntu 11.10 x64

Beans

Post VirtualBox Error Message - Trying to Enable USB on Ubuntu 11.10 x64

I have a problem with enabling USB on my VirtualBox installation on Ubuntu 11.10 x64.

The picture above basically shows the error being shown on the 'Terminal' after I click OK on the 'vboxusers' Properties. I tried it many times showing the same exact error.

(users-admin:11567): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_list_store_set_valist: assertion `VALID_ITER (iter, list_store)' failed

Can somebody help me? I'm new to this thing and I already tried the method shown in this forum.
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...t-111715.shtml

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: VirtualBox Error Message - Trying to Enable USB on Ubuntu 11.10 x64

I'm not sure what the problem is with the users-admin command as I'm on 10.04 and it works OK for me. However, the same effect can be achieved by editing the /etc/groups file and adding your user name to the end of the vboxusers line. You'll need to use sudo to edit the file.

Also, if you're using the non-freeware version of VirtualBox, you might need to download and add the extension pack to get USB 2.0 support.

Hope that helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sazhen86 View Post
    I'm not sure what the problem is with the users-admin command as I'm on 10.04 and it works OK for me. However, the same effect can be achieved by editing the /etc/groups file and adding your user name to the end of the vboxusers line. You'll need to use sudo to edit the file.

Also, if you're using the non-freeware version of VirtualBox, you might need to download and add the extension pack to get USB 2.0 support.

Hope that helps.
    Hi. Thanks for the response. I restarted my Ubuntu PC and well, USB works! I'm so happy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Sweet! Glad it's working. Sometimes a reboot works wonders.