Thread: Thunderbird: incoming server already exists

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy Thunderbird: incoming server already exists

I'm using thunderbird 3.1.15 on ubuntu 11.04 and I'm trying to add another mail account. I go through the account setup process, it correctly detects the incoming and outgoing mail servers but then when I click 'Add mail account' I get the error 'incoming server already exists'. What can I do about it?
    Last edited by jonnyboysmithy; November 25th, 2011 at 10:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Thunderbird: incoming server already exists

Anyone??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You may fix it by restarting the computer and then trying to do it. But first delete the account info you were entering so after the restart it can start from the beginning.

I have Thunderbird and I'm not getting what you got.
    Be inspired by phreaking.
    http://tinyurl.com/about-phreaking
    And don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You should use the HELP button at the top of Thunderbird
    While in Thunderbird F1

http://support.mozillamessaging.com/...dy+exists&as=s

This tutorial will show you how to configure a new account for POP access (rather than IMAP).
    1. Select Tools | Account Settings... | Account Actions | Add Mail Account .

2. Enter your username (check with your mail provider; it is your full email address) and password and click Continue.

3. Thunderbird will attempt to configure your accounts settings automatically using IMAP. Click Stop.

4. Enter your account details as follows:

• Username: Enter your full email address (or whatever your email provider recommends, usually your full email address, although sometimes just the part before the "@").
    • Incoming: Enter your incoming email provider's server (usually "mail.yourmailprovider.com" or "pop.yourmailprovider.com", for example "mail.argontech.net").
    • Outgoing: Enter your outgoing mail provider's server (usually "mail.domainname.com" or "smtp.domainname.com").
    • Select "POP" from the drop-down list to the right of the incoming mail server name (the row labelled "Incoming:" in the screenshot). This is important because if IMAP is selected you won't be able to change it to POP later!
    • Incoming port number: This depends on the email provider.
    • Outgoing port number: This depends on the email provider.
    • Incoming security: This depends on the email provider.
    • Outgoing security: This depends on the email provider.

5. Once these settings have been entered, click Manual Setup...

You may get an error message that says that the SMTP account already exists. Clear the message.
    6. Click on Cancel to exit the Account Settings dialog. Re-open the Account Settings page and you will see that your new account has been created. Also please check your Outgoing Server (SMTP) is correct for this account (at the bottom of the screenshot).

7. Check that your incoming and outgoing mail is working correctly. If everything is ok (i.e. you can send and receive email and see your old emails; note that some email providers may not give you access to all of your emails or all your email folders; check with your mail provider) and you accidentally created an IMAP account, then delete the accidentally created IMAP account as follows: open Tools | Account Settings..., select the accidentally created IMAP account with the IMAP server setting, then select Account Actions|Remove Account from the drop-down list underneath the account list on the left.
    For more information about account connection information, see Configure an account.
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate || My WIKI
    ---------------------------

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyboysmithy View Post
    I'm using thunderbird 3.1.15 on ubuntu 11.04 and I'm trying to add another mail account. I go through the account setup process, it correctly detects the incoming and outgoing mail servers but then when I click 'Add mail account' I get the error 'incoming server already exists'. What can I do about it?
    You're supposed to click "add email account" in the beginning, not after you've already entered in the new account info. Just click "ok" when done instead.
    Be inspired by phreaking.
    http://tinyurl.com/about-phreaking
    And don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Distro

Thanks! That solved it, its working the way it should be now.