Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oneiric Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Beans

Re: Oneiric Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Just one critical question: Will gnome-session-fallback continue to be supported?
    Last edited by VanillaMozilla; January 12th, 2012 at 08:54 PM.

Beans

hi nice thread, im(atom processor with very small screen) uuh..just trying to keep my performance high with no effects(seriously after the minute i reboot for upgrading to oneirc, i can feel it's really hot at my touchpad area) but when i press alt-tab/windowkey+tab it'll b able to show me switching between apps

which settings should i try

i also noticed a change when i press windowkey+r im pretty sure i've customised it to pop me a terminal window but now,...please help this lil duck who's still very new to linux...@_@

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaMozilla View Post
    Just one critical question: Will gnome-session-fallback continue to be supported?
    I'm reasonably confident that it will be in Precise (12.04) which is a 5 year LTS. But I can't be certain until April.

Beyond Precise who knows?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tenkoji View Post
    hi nice thread, im(atom processor with very small screen) uuh..just trying to keep my performance high with no effects(seriously after the minute i reboot for upgrading to oneirc, i can feel it's really hot at my touchpad area) but when i press alt-tab/windowkey+tab it'll b able to show me switching between apps

which settings should i try

i also noticed a change when i press windowkey+r im pretty sure i've customised it to pop me a terminal window but now,...please help this lil duck who's still very new to linux...@_@
    Well first of all I'd think that you could use either Unity-2D or Classic/no-effects based on your own preferences. I'd think resource usage should be similar between the two.

Going back to my OP the apps described in steps 7 & 8 should be useful in monitoring system temp and cpu/memory usage. They both work equally well in Unity and Classic, but in order to get them to display properly in Classic you'll need to use the versions of either 'indicator-applet' or 'indicator-applet-complete' provided by the PPA shown in step #2.

Just shout if you need more help, but I admittedly don't know much about laptops or notebooks

Beans

We very much appreciate your efforts, Kansas. If anyone from Canonical or Gnome should ask you, it would be a really smooth move if THEY would take the responsibility to make it work like it used to.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

a new issue has cropped up for me, a bit irritating.When I rt click a link the little box pops up with a description and immediately closes before it can be read in firefox. However I have been experimenting with desktops and this only happens in classic. xfce and even cinnamon it stays up to be read as it should. How can I correct this

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    a new issue has cropped up for me, a bit irritating.When I rt click a link the little box pops up with a description and immediately closes before it can be read in firefox. However I have been experimenting with desktops and this only happens in classic. xfce and even cinnamon it stays up to be read as it should. How can I correct this
    I don't know, it's working fine here:

right-click.jpg

I suspect something is borked in the firefox profile, but I'm not sure. Do you have a mix of Xubuntu, Cinnamon, and Ubuntu classic all operating on the same OS? Or are they multi-booted? Or on different machines?

You could close Firefox, go to Home, select View > Show hidden files, then rename ".mozilla" something like ".mozilla_OLD". Then when you open Firefox again a new .mozilla will be created.

Be darn sure to close Firefox before you try that or you will absolutely bork the old profile!

Beans

Hi, I am a new user so I dont know how big my voice is on here but can anyone tell me the cons of this so called 'Unity'. I been a Windows user pretty much most of the time but Ive had linux courses while I was in college, so Ive been exposed to the look and feel of linux, somewhat. I just booted up 11.04 and was welcomed by Unity and I have to be honest, I did miss the original way Gnome felt, and just where things were.. However, Unity is or appears, bold and simple and elegant and as if it could be smart to a mac user.... But... I can see where one would ask, does this look limited?

Im a begginner into Linux but Im here to stay as, My career in IT would def prosper if I mastered Linux and Ive (as of 10 minutes ago) made it my primaryOS. So Im asking, What would you do?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Imgoing2LearnUbunt2 View Post
    Hi, I am a new user so I dont know how big my voice is on here but can anyone tell me the cons of this so called 'Unity'. I been a Windows user pretty much most of the time but Ive had linux courses while I was in college, so Ive been exposed to the look and feel of linux, somewhat. I just booted up 11.04 and was welcomed by Unity and I have to be honest, I did miss the original way Gnome felt, and just where things were.. However, Unity is or appears, bold and simple and elegant and as if it could be smart to a mac user.... But... I can see where one would ask, does this look limited?

Im a begginner into Linux but Im here to stay as, My career in IT would def prosper if I mastered Linux and Ive (as of 10 minutes ago) made it my primaryOS. So Im asking, What would you do?
    IMHO it's simply a matter of choice. I actually like Unity-2D on my Intel Atom box with an 18.5" widescreen monitor, Lubuntu on my old VIA C-7, and either Lubuntu or a Classic Gnome DE as described in my OP here on my AMD HTPC with a 22" widescreen.

I think you should open a discussion at the Community Cafe and see what other users use and why they use it:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Beans

Thanks for this great manual

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast