Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Compaq Presario CQ 57

Beans

Re: Compaq Presario CQ 57

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    if you got access to high speed internet you should have installed via software center or synaptics, that way all dependencies would be downloaded as well (for example if you mark it it should mark all dependencies). if it's not in synaptics it means it has been dropped :-O

unless i missunderstod and you were using windows to download it. that might be a different issue.
    Mastablasta,
    Thanks, I did use the software center on Ubuntu desktop. This is where I got the messages about dependances not loaded. I searched for the gnome ppp in the software center, found and clicked on install after reading the normal information that is attached. After clicking on install, that is when the software center came back and told me that it could not install because there were some files that gnome ppp needs that was not on my computer and that the installation was not completed. It gave about 4 lib files that was needed BEFORE it could install the gnome ppp. Again, I thought if the software center knew that these were needed, it would install them, but it didn't. Xandros Networks, will and I have had very little getting a package to install even when I downloaded it and just clicked on it. Xandros asked me if I wanted to start it with Xandros Networks and I clicked yes, and it would do a complete install naming and including the dependances.
    Maybe I have something loaded that shouldn't be in Ubuntu. Or it is just so much different that I haven't gotten the hang of it yet.
    Thanks again and may God bless,

Glenn AC4RB

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

that is very odd.

it should downldoad any packages if it really needs them. and installing from software center should work. what mirror are you using for repositories?

furthermore i find it strange that .deb is failing:
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source....3.23-1ubuntu5
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/gnome-ppp

Strange because even in debian sid this package is mainatained and new verison of gnomePPP (updated) is being tested for 12.04.

perhaps you could try to register on launchpad and ask the developer for help or if you are sure you did everything you should do to file a bug.
    Last edited by mastablasta; February 3rd, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    that is very odd.

it should downldoad any packages if it really needs them. and installing from software center should work. what mirror are you using for repositories?

furthermore i find it strange that .deb is failing:
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source....3.23-1ubuntu5
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/gnome-ppp

Strange because even in debian sid this package is mainatained and new verison of gnomePPP (updated) is being tested for 12.04.

perhaps you could try to register on launchpad and ask the developer for help or if you are sure you did everything you should do to file a bug.
    I am using whatever repositories that are in the Software Center. I too think it is odd. Could it be because I have Ubuntu installed on a 16gb USB flash disk? Is it looking at the hard disk and trying to determine what to load? I was able to install WINE and NDISWRAPPER with ease. It didn't install a shortcuts in the GUI but I can envoke them in terminal. I thought this might be the case with Gnome PPP but that is not the case.
    Thanks Mastablasta..

Glenn

Beans

MASTABLASTA:
    I finally got wvdial to load. What I had to do was go to terminal type sudo nautilus, This gave me the ability to go to root and change premissions on the folders. I simply gave myself onwership of the needed files instead of root. After doing this this gave me premissions to change, add, or deleate files. Doing this allowed me to manually install wvdial. Now all I need to do is get a suitable driver (ini file) for my USB modem and I should be in business. By the way, for those reading this that are not aware of this, (I am sure MASTABLASTA is aware of this so I don't want to offend him) once you log out or close the window, it reverts back to root control. That is, the premissions will remain as you changed them but you just cannot go to system and change the premissions again without doing the whole terminal sudo nautilus thing again. This gives you complete control while in the window only.

Thanks again MASTABLASTA and may God bless,

Glenn AC4RB

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ac4rb View Post
    MASTABLASTA:
    I finally got wvdial to load. What I had to do was go to terminal type sudo nautilus, This gave me the ability to go to root and change premissions on the folders. I simply gave myself onwership of the needed files instead of root. After doing this this gave me premissions to change, add, or deleate files. Doing this allowed me to manually install wvdial. Now all I need to do is get a suitable driver (ini file) for my USB modem and I should be in business. By the way, for those reading this that are not aware of this, (I am sure MASTABLASTA is aware of this so I don't want to offend him) once you log out or close the window, it reverts back to root control. That is, the premissions will remain as you changed them but you just cannot go to system and change the premissions again without doing the whole terminal sudo nautilus thing again. This gives you complete control while in the window only.

Thanks again MASTABLASTA and may God bless,

Glenn AC4RB
    Please be careful when you change permissions. Change only those that are required to load applications or else it may crash.

Beans

What about 12.04 ?

Any issues with Ubuntu on the device?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Compaq Presario CQ 57

I have Wubi installed with 12.04.1 and it works without a glitch!

Beans

I had problems with wi-fi and bluetooth in ubuntu 13.04. solved this problems by updating the BIOS and reset it to the default settings.

hp cq57-383sr

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910