Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: VBox: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: VBox: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

32 months, 5 releases and 120 000 views later, this bug is back!

On 14.04 I am trying to solve it this way:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic dkms
    sudo apt-get remove virtualbox-dkms
    sudo apt-get install virtualbox-dkms

But it has no effect. There is no build-essentials package for 14.04, could that be the cause?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Is that a typo?

Do you mean "build-essential" (sans the "s" at the end)?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

Yes it is a typo, the package is build-essential and I already have it installed ... meaning that the exact 13.10 fix does not work at all.

Beans
    Distro

The fix for 14.04 is indeed different, but not that different:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential dkms
    sudo apt-get remove --purge virtualbox-dkms

The install virtualbox-dkms command was actually failing using the 13.10 fix. By fully purging the package things got back to normal.

See you in a few months

Beans

None of these helped.

Ubuntu update ****ed up my system.

I havent been able to work for 2 days because of this ****.

Beans

So I can now load Virtual Box but my virtual machine is not recognized. Its like I never made it. I do still have the folder so the files are still there. . .

Im on 13.10 and did:

sudo apt-get remove virtualbox-dkms
    Last edited by CoreyRuhno; July 31st, 2014 at 04:18 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew69 View Post
    None of these helped.

Ubuntu update ****ed up my system.

I havent been able to work for 2 days because of this ****.
    Same goes for me... I lost 6 months of research!!! God knows how many hours I was working on it. And now, there is no f*** way to return all that data. Coz I can't access my virtual OS! True, I do have copy of unprocessed data... But it'll take me months to do everything all over again. In meantime, I can easily lost founds for project... Thanks alot, f***king VirtualBox! And you too, Ubuntu's research team. Thanks alot!

I don't understand you developers. If you know that new thing isn't going to work well (which is understandable, we all make some new things which doesn't work at the beginning as they are supposed to), why suggest/force your users to update into that version in a first place? Why? Why did you do such a stupid thing? Take your time! Make things right, but give us good product. Not some stupid cosmetical update, which makes mess (and when I say "mess" I mean f*** up everything). Now my whole system is unstable. I can't do a whole list of things... But, I'll manage that somehow... Problem is that you from time to time do f****ups. Don't do that. Please! I started using Linux/Ubuntu because Windows was doing that sh**.
    Understand this. As an User, I was happy with old version which was working just fine.
    I don't need some small tweaks which will eventually make system unstable, and I definitely don't need something that will destroy my data. Don't do that.
    Sit down, take your time and do things right. Don't hurry. All of us are using Linux because we like it! Never forget that!
    Yes... We all know that on the other side, it has its own downsizes too. But we still choosed to use it!
    Even when you do this kind of f***ups, we will continue to use Linux. Coz we like it! Call us crazy, call us stupid... Whatever! But we like it!
    So, please. Try not to do more damage than good with these updates which you are making. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by milovan2; August 22nd, 2014 at 10:29 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Considering the developers don't read these forums, you are just shouting at your fellow users.

Do you not have backups? If you do not, you can try to copy the entire VirtualBox VMs folder and the .VirtualBox folder to another machine (with virtualbox installed) and see if the VM will load or not. I have used that method to move VMs between machines before, but only on Windows - there is no reason it shouldn't work on Linux as well. If you are using VirtualBox for mission critical appliances, I would suggest moving to KVM or something else that is built into the base kernel so you don't have to deal with third party kernel modules breaking things.

FWIW: I moved off on VirtualBox on Linux a while ago - ended up converting the virtual hard drive to qcow2 via this method.

Hope that helps.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

They don't?! Ups... I'm very sorry my fellow users. Please accept my apologies. I was out of my mind, because I was thinking that I lost research...

Thanks for advice CharlesA.
    Even without reading your post, I have done that. I found on some russian website similar suggestion so I went for it. And it worked!
    Nevertheless, thanks for the advice friend.

Beans

You just saved my life!
    Worked for
    Ubuntu 14.04 on x64

The incorrect kernel compilation and installation caused this problem.

kind regards,
    Asalle

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast