Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vmwareworkstation tools installation

Beans

vmwareworkstation tools installation

I am trying to install the tools to share a folder, but it just tells me that I cannot be logged into the guest OS, and I need to mount the CD drive in the guest, launch a terminal, and uncompress, and execute it to install it. how do I install this? i am not sure where the package is.

Beans

Re: vmwareworkstation tools installation

Where are you stuck in these directions?
    http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1014294
    "Everything not saved will be lost."
    Ancient Japanese Proverb originating from the omnipotent Nintendo "Quit Screen" message

Beans

I am stuck here: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1022525 - step 4. How do I do this? In /media, I see cdrom. Am I in the right place? How do I mount it?

Beans

Scroll down to the section "Ubuntu Server with only a command line interface" and it tells you how to mount it. I think the first section assumes that it automatically mounts, which it apparently didn't do for you.
    Ancient Japanese Proverb originating from the omnipotent Nintendo "Quit Screen" message

Beans

so I followed this https://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/d...r_viewing.html at the bottom, but I only see cdrom. I made sure that I shared a folder with the machine.

Beans

Why are you sharing folders? Were you able to install the tools or are you sharing the folder for that?

Beans

I am sharing the folder for that. I would like to get the contents of a config file.

Beans

What was the result when you tried to mount the drive using the command line? Did you download the tools?

Beans

I try mount cdrom when in /mnt, and get this error:
    mount: can't find cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

Beans

Ok, let's back up. You never said, so I'm assuming you have an Ubuntu computer with an Ubuntu in a VMware VM. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What you should be trying to do is on your computer, open vmware, boot the VM. Then in the VMware toolbar you should click "install guest tools" which will download the vmware tools onto your host computer (not the VM).

Then what we do is we have VMware present the downloaded file to the VM. it does this by making the file look like it's a CD in a virtual CD drive. We are not using your computer's CD drive.

I'm not entirely certain where the problem is, I suspect that you're not understanding the process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast