Thread: resource for .deb wireless drivers ?

Beans

resource for .deb wireless drivers ?

Lets say i want .deb installer for a laptop that doesnt have out-of-box wireless connection functioning and cant temporarily hook up a cable to get it either because the port is physically broken.

Lets say i find out the name of the driver, is there anything else to do besides google it? is there a specific format to type it in synaptic to find it better? is there a website somewhere that collects ubuntu wireless drivers? is there a such thing as a generic one that works for most? if so where is it as .deb only?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: resource for .deb wireless drivers ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tone303 View Post
    Lets say i want .deb installer for a laptop that doesnt have out-of-box wireless connection functioning and cant temporarily hook up a cable to get it either because the port is physically broken.

Lets say i find out the name of the driver, is there anything else to do besides google it? is there a specific format to type it in synaptic to find it better? is there a website somewhere that collects ubuntu wireless drivers? is there a such thing as a generic one that works for most? if so where is it as .deb only?
    this might help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Lets say i want .deb installer for a laptop that doesnt have out-of-box wireless connection functioning and cant temporarily hook up a cable to get it either because the port is physically broken
    and what wireless chipsets would you be talking about?
    .deb packages are only available for broadcom chipsets, you can install them from synaptic or if you don't have wired internet you can still get them from ubuntu packages.
    other brands like ralink, realtek and atheros are open-source drivers already built-in the linux kernel, these brands also provide the linux drivers but only on source code format, you will need to compile the drivers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gandaran View Post
    and what wireless chipsets would you be talking about?
    .deb packages are only available for broadcom chipsets, you can install them from synaptic or if you don't have wired internet you can still get them from ubuntu packages.
    other brands like ralink, realtek and atheros are open-source drivers already built-in the linux kernel, these brands also provide the linux drivers but only on source code format, you will need to compile the drivers.

Broadcom B43